What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thottle Difference? - Spruce vs. Vans

throttle quadrant

I don't know if it makes up for the total difference but Van's quadrant also comes with the control cables, I don't believe the ones from spruce come with any cables.

Cables!

Vans quadrant includes the custom length cables for the RV-10. If you go with the Spruce quadrant, you will need to also include the cables.

Working on Quadrant install today. Van's also includes new retro drawings for their installation and a new F-1083 that now is called F-1083Q. It's a little different and mounts differently. They also supply a bag of hardware, haven't looked in it yet . I'm pretty sure they include the rod ends ???
Ron

Hey Ron -

I tried one of the Van's RV-10 throttles at Stein's earlier this week and was amazed at the "grinding metal" sound the throttle level made when I operated it. ...it was like teeth on a chalkboard!

Does yours slide smoothly or have any kind of teflon bushing on the throttle lever that would prevent this metal on metal contact?

- Peter

They are not the smoothest I've had my hands on but nothing like you discribe. I'll look tomorrow when I get to the hangar.

Yeah I was really not expecting that at all. The rest of the piece seems VERY well made. I'll be interested in hear what your thought are...

- Peter

Yeah, not too impressed with the grinding. You'd think for the cost they could have taken care of that for you. That said, I fixed mine with some UHMW tape on the arms. No more grinding.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Peter,

I have the two lever quadrant installed in my -9 and there is no grinding noise or feel. I suspect what you where feeling/hearing is the cable and not the quadrant.

If you need a two lever quadrant, the price comes down a good bit from the three lever version.

Also, if you install a quadrant in your -7, you will have to make some braces to attached it to the instrument panel, sub-panel, and cable retention. I don't know, but is it possible the reason for the high price for the -10 is because it includes an engineered bracket for the quadrant?

Check out my insturment panel page for details of how I installed the thing.

Last edited:
Hello Bill -

Actually the quadrant we were operating at Steins had no cables attached to it. It was also taking little bits of metal off the throttle arm each time we actuated it so we had a good sense for where the grinding was coming from.

I like the tape idea, its just that for $500 you would think this wouldn't be an issue.

- Peter

Pulled mine out again and your correct. There is some grinding and like you, it's easy to see where it's coming from. Seems to me it would have been easy to address during fabrication. Not much roam to do much with now.

Before I even first flew, I noticed that they had the anodized slots that could potentially rub the anodized levers. So, I stuck a piece of UHMW tape on each side of the lever, about 1/4" above to 1/4" below that spot of the lever. The result is a super smooth, non-grinding quadrant that has given over 430 hours of perfect function so far. No slop, real precise, and very nice. I understand it would be great if the thing never rubbed from day one, but the fix is so simple it's silly to worry about it much.

Tim

Hey Tim Stein claims you never pound on your throttle though... :D

Sorry for bring such a rookie but do you have a link for the "UHMW tape"? I'm not sure what that is but will use it if it's worked for you!

- Peter

Vans has a couple different lengths per application, but I just found this right now on the web store: CLEAR UHMW 4/6/7/8, TAPE UHMW 3"X10'. It's 3" wide and I actually used that for other things too....I split it to 1.5" wide and used it under the trailing edge skin on the wings so that the flaps don't get all scratched up. You can put it on the flaps, but then you have ugly yellowing tape on the flaps. If you put it on the wing skin underside, it's hidden and does the same function.

Good stuff to have, and you can use it anywhere (reasonably cool temperatured) you may have something rub that you don't want friction on.

Tim

We have the UHMW tape in stock (comes on large rolls) and we'll just cut off what you need. We also have some UHMW board stock as well, so I'll be we can figure something out. Maybe we'll mill a small piece of stock to sit under the faceplate of the quadrant or something like that!

Anyway, I don't know about the 2 lever quadrants - but we have worked with a lot of the three lever quadrants for the RV-10's (as supplied by Van's) and they most all will grind the arms on the faceplate of the quadrant if you don't use UHMW/Teflon Tape or blocks there....at least that's been our experience. Overall the rest of the quadrant is pretty darned nice!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Back