What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti Splat Aero Heat Shields

Has anybody fitted the Anti Splat Aero heat shields to their Vetterman system. Had a burn on the lower cowling and after talking to ASA took their suggestion to order a couple of the 12” shields for the long pipes for our 7A. I know the fitting will be relatively straightforward, but I have been asked by my remote engineer to try and source a pic.
Thanks
Derek

Last edited:
I have one or two on my Vetterman system but not 12? and don?t think you would really need one that long. Are you using the sticky foil from Vans on the inside of your cowl? Works well.

Erich

I covered the inside of the entire bottom cowl with heat shield contact aluminum paper then put short heat shields like these short ones.

Almost one thousand hours and no heat damage.

Heat shield required ?

Is there a rule of thumb for tube to cowl gap that would suggest the need for shields before the paint tells you ?

Thank for the suggestions. No idea what the minimum tube to cowl gap normally is, have read suggestions elsewhere that 0.5? is minimum. Ordered 2 x ASA 12? shields after discussion with Allan there. Can always cut them back if too long. Did not have inside of cowls painted, doing it now is problematic (long story).
After researching articles regarding burnt RV cowls went to Defcon 1...
1/8 Fibrefrax matting then automotive aluminised blanket contact glued over that. Could not get Vans foil to stick to the unpainted cowling and it also peeled away from the Fibrefrax.
Have not had easy access to the aircraft since problem found, five hour drive away, then the pandemic makes things more difficult, so most of this done remotely.
Lets see how that all goes.

I bought a couple but can’t remember where. Possibly Vans? Needed another. Made out of aluminum, I made a couple. Really easy with some scrap .032 with a couple of bends to contour the exhaust, with a 1/2” strap of the .032 rivetd on the inside with a jiggle in it. A 2” hose clamp, and it’s done. I can’t tell which ones I made vs the ones I bought. Really simple design, difficult to describe.

Looked on the Vans site. I think they are EA LV-1 HEAT SHIELD. No pic. If someone can post a pic, I’m sure you could whip a few up, even longer lengths. I wont be able to post a pic for a while.

Last edited:
Back