What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Spinner

KHeidorn

Well Known Member
I bought the spinner kit for the constant speed prop from Vans. I found it to be very easy to install.

Images are of the centering process. Don't want any wobble.

20151224_131713.jpg

20151224_131638.jpg

20151224_131611.jpg

It's difficult to get a pinpoint mark due to the fact that as you pull the prop through you end up pulling down on the whole plane.

Ken , how would it work if you secured your fixture for the pen to your engine rather than from the floor?

Ken, did you remove one plug per cylinder to relieve compression while you pulled the prop around? Looks great!

Spinner

I hadn't really thought about mounting the pen to the engine. It would have been more difficult but would have eliminated the extra movement.

I had all the bottom plugs removed. It would have been almost impossible to get any amount of accuracy with them in.

Last edited:
After I thought I had the spinner centered by pulling the prop thru with the plugs removed, I had my wife hit the starter for about 5-10 seconds so I could check for any wobble. Of coarse, this method isn't possible if your not that far along with the engine install.

Dot

I bought the spinner kit for the constant speed prop from Vans. I found it to be very easy to install.

Images are of the centering process. Don't want any wobble.

20151224_131713.jpg

20151224_131638.jpg

20151224_131611.jpg

It's difficult to get a pinpoint mark due to the fact that as you pull the prop through you end up pulling down on the whole plane.

Ken,

What is acceptable here for the size of the dot. I put mine on and put a pen in from like you did, removed the top plugs and I found that the pen had to have some pressure on the spinner to make a mark, but it seemed the spinner would move the pen, which defeated the purpose. I got about a 1/4" circle when I did it. Thanks.

Could this be done off engine?
At this point I wish I'd had kept my old Technics turntable. Ensure the turntable is level and use a plumb-bob to identify center?

Regards,
Bruce K.

Back