What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two Left Torque Tube Assemblies

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I accidentally made two left torque tube assemblies for my RV-10 wings. This is the assembly that gets installed at the root of each wing where there is a small but different rotation in the tube ends depending on right wing or left wing. To fix the problem, I drilled new holes in one of the torque tube ends, re-inserted the tube and put in the proper rotation. I think this is all fine but thought it wise to run it by the community. Does anyone see any issues with this fix?

See pics below.

Below the circled holes are new and go straight through.
2013-03-31_17-22-29_867-1024x768.jpg

Compare the completed end with the left. Note the extra holes.
2013-03-31_17-56-49_390-1024x768.jpg

Thanks

Swap

I was thinking more along the lines of swapping with another builder, but you already drilled the new holes.

My attitude in the build was anything I did wrong and was a critical component that I would worry about in the air or after I left the shop for the day meant I should redo it. It's not that hard to order a replacement from Vans and know you have the correct part and made to specifications.

My attitude in the build was anything I did wrong and was a critical component that I would worry about in the air or after I left the shop for the day meant I should redo it. It's not that hard to order a replacement from Vans and know you have the correct part and made to specifications.

This is in general my view also. And trust me when I say I've spent a lot of extra money on replacement parts. ... But through the build I'm learning also to be more thoughtful about what I should be worried about. For example, I had a mistake on one of the long aileron push tubes which would have cost me a ton of cash to have shipped across country. After speaking with my tech counselor, I realized I could solve the problem by cutting the tube just 1/4" shorter and then use longer rod end bearings. Likewise in this case. By drilling new holes 90 degrees off there would be no danger whatsoever of edge distance issues or weakening the steel, etc.

Even so, I think it's wise to post questions even when I'm sure they will seem silly to some. In the end it just might correct some assumption I didn't know I was making or (hopefully) will confirm my thought that there's nothing to be concerned about.

One of the greatest values of this forum is the mixture of experienced helpful (and non-judgmental) experts, and beginners (like me) who understand and accept how limited our knowledge is at the moment, but who hope to gain understanding and confidence in our own judgment.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Clean up the unused holes, treat it well with an anti-corrosion product - such as Boeshield T-9. It's not like you won't ever see it again. You will be pulling the fairing on every inspection. Put it on your inspection checklist to ensure no cracking or corrosion at the unused holes. Move on....

Back