What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short field rotate speed for RV-10.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' guys.

Tomorrow I have a CFI renewal ride and can't quite seem to find any solid speed numbers for rotation during a short field take-off in my -10.

I have tried different speeds but don't see much difference.

Vic, Dave M??

Thanks,

Like you, Pierre, I have tried different speeds and just don't see much difference.

I was taught to takeoff in an RV with full back stick - it always rotates at the same speed, then a brief sag coming out of ground effect, then it's a high nose angle to keep Vx or Vy.

John

CAFE lists the lift off speed for the 9A at 57 knots.
The 10 is probably not less than that and likely not more than 10 knots more than that.
Not sure how that relates to rotation speed because ...
our 9A rotates when you add full power at any speed :eek:

Speeds

It seems like the unstick speed in my 10 is around 63-65. I hold the stick all the way back and lighten it as the elevator becomes more effective. I have pushed forward and pulled back to get the plane in ground effect quicker but it could be my imagination that it actually happens faster that way.
A little off topic but I re-established some stall numbers the other day with just myself in the plane and 30 gallons of fuel.
- All in KIAS -
flaps 30 horn at 60 stall 43
flaps 20 horn at 62 stall 48
flaps 0 horn at 62 stall 53
flaps -3 horn at 67 stall 57

Short field technique for me: flaps set to 15 deg, full power before brake release, elevator neutral until 50 kias then add back pressure to lift off at 65 kias, climb at 80 kias, once above obstacles pitch nose down slightly until 90 kias then flaps up, pitch for normal 105-115 kias climb.

Stall speeds at 2700 lbs loaded with family, full fuel and baggage: 64/57/53 kias at -3, 18 & 33 deg.

Last edited:
What flap settings are you using? I think 2 notches gets me off the runway slightly faster, but with lower climb rate. Not sure what's best for the FAA 50 foot tree test.

Well...thanks.

Guys, although I appreciate your input, I still haven't seen any REAL numbers.
Short field take-offs are done without flaps. Soft field take-offs do use flaps. The intent is to have minimal drag during a short field take-off and rotate at a higher than normal speed, so that the aircraft can climb over the supposed 50' obstacle.

Doing the takeoff roll with full up elevator adds drag and is not the accepted practise for short field work....it is for soft field work....likewise for flap use...usually for soft/rough strips.

I have to do this by the book, not by opinion.

Thanks,

The numbers are above. Same procedure as soft field except keep elev neutral as mentioned in my post until slightly below your target liftoff speed. Our target LO spd all depends on weight. Hold that slightly nose high attitude from 50 kias and once lift=weight, your off. Let it lift off when it is ready. I do every takeoff like this except I don't use any flaps for normal takeoffs. One thing not mentioned...know and mark your halfway point and if your not seeing 50 kias by halfway abort the takeoff.

We are the manufacturers, test flew and wrote our poh's so the numbers are our own opinions through testing. Soft and short fields are in my poh so if an examiner should ask, right there it says "half flaps".

Good luck on your flight review. If your examiner has not flown in a -10...he will be hanging on for dear life and looking at lots of blue sky or the steep deck angle out the side. It all happens so fast and in a few seconds your higher than the trees and only used a 1000' of runway. Especially if you have 30 gal of fuel on board.

I forgot to mention that I set my trim to what it would be at for a normal climb(105-120 kias). This makes me have to pull harder initially, but once above obstacles and lower the nose/hit flap switch up your all set for normal climb. With two up front I have to use a little more "nose up" trim than with family on board. Also my stall buzzer occasionally goes off and that is okay because it is set 6 kts above actual stall and with 1/2 flaps/full power...no problem. Have fun and be safe.

How'd it go?

Pierre

Missed the original post yesterday to be of any help :( so all that remains is to find out how it went.

Was the examiner used to the RV-10?

If not what did his face look like on the short field :eek: ?

Very impressed.

He loved it, as I knew he would.

FWIW, I passed with flying colors and 80 MPH IAS works well for a solid nose high lift off and climb to 50' at a pretty steep deck angle. I had not tried a short field TO by holding the brakes until full power but they wouldn't quite hold it at WOT and it really blasts off!.....and I had to do it from the right seat.

We did power off stalls, unusual attitudes, accelerated stalls and short and soft
field to's and landings, VOR tracking:eek:...hadn't done that in a while and had to figure out how to use the HS-34 and SL-30:)

The D-100 and D-120 cross-communicate, so I set the right side to EFIS and the left to split screen mode for engine info.

Now we're good to go for 2 more years.

Best,

Last edited:
"The D-100 and D-120 cross-communicate, so I set the right side to EFIS and the left to split screen mode for engine info."

For a CFI check ride, isn't this "cheating"? -:)

Just curious why you go the check ride route. Taking one of the internet ground schools is quite a bit less expensive, unless you can get an FAA inspector to do the check ride (for free, except for gas).

"The D-100 and D-120 cross-communicate, so I set the right side to EFIS and the left to split screen mode for engine info."

For a CFI check ride, isn't this "cheating"? -:)

Just curious why you go the check ride route. Taking one of the internet ground schools is quite a bit less expensive, unless you can get an FAA inspector to do the check ride (for free, except for gas).

If you have allowed your CFI to expire you must take a ride with the FAA to reinstate.

Yes, that's true. I guess I mis-read his comment about "good to go for another 2 years" as meaning he usually renewed this way.
Pierre?

Funny.

ROFL...is it a blonde thing?

Yep, I do a check ride every two years since I don't meet the 8 student rule because I don't do basic flight training...only transition training and Bi-ennial check flights.

It's bi-ennial guys, not bi-annual.

Best,

That's not a blonde thing. Hat just down right embarrassing for USA education.

Interesting getting a CFI check ride to maintain your certification. I've considered earning my CFI but am unlikely to have enough time or students so the biennial would be my route too.

No requirement to take a check ride every two years unless you let your CFI expire. You can take an online course or attend a weekend refresher course before your CFI expires and renew that way.

Back