What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To CherryMax or not to Cherrymax?

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am approaching the point were I can think about riveting on the forward skin of my RV8. Looking down at the back of the panel and the limited space behind it I can see several things happenging. First of all I have noticed in my later years that I am not quite as limber as I once was. Crawling under the panel and laying on may back is obviously going to lead to one if not several cramps. I can also see dropping that nice heavy bucking bar on my forehead at some point...but you get my drift...So the question is, cost aside, is there any compelling reason not to put the top forward skin on with CherryMax Rivets?

My 2 cents

Burke,
I was able to do most of my top fwd skin through the fwd baggage compartment without too many contortions - caveat, I have a big avionics access panel in the bulkhead that is fwd of the instrument panel which helped too. (see pic)
FP16052008A0000A.jpg

I did use cherrymax rivets inside the gear towers - I had too much going on in there to buck them without mangling them.

This is what I did - your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I used them if I had a high probability of messing up a solid or pulling a body part.

I kept 5 or so of each size 4-1 thru 4-5 in csk and univ.

We used cherry max rivets to rivet our entire forward top skin on except for the firewall row. Simple. Done. But somewhat expensive. --LeRoy Johnston RV-6A "Esperanza" 530 hours Ohio.

Cherry Rivets on Top Skin

Burke,

When necessary, I used Cherry CR3214-4-04 rivets along the edge of the top/side fwd skin. They are the perfect solution. They have a -4 diameter with the head of a -3 rivet. I found them at GAH Co. Look under the Fuselage Label in my blog for more detail. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back