What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zaon XRX Onyx PCAS

brettt777

Anyone have any experience with the Zaon XRX Onyx PCAS? I have one that a customer wanted connected to the G3X system I just installed and while the data connection seems to work (the G3X appears to be communicating with the Zaon; the error message goes away when I power the unit up), it does nothing else. It doesn't detect anything that I have ever seen, from a plane on approach a half mile away to a jet that was right next to it, it does nothing whether I have it set up to talk to the Garmin or not. This is a passive system so it depends on receiving transponders from other aircraft, correct? I have seen alot of negative posts on other forums about this thing. I was wondering what others think about it.

info

Well I am not sure if there is a difference between the "Onyx" and the Zaon XRX, since my unit does not say anything about "Onyx" on it. I have been using it for several years now. Do a search in the threads on Zaon XRX. I am sure you will find a lot of posts about it.

I like mine although I am having some issues currently with getting the audio functioning correctly with my PM 3000 intercom. Prior to getting my RV flying it worked flawlessly in my 172. Other than my problem with the audio, it does pick up traffic pretty well. Of course, I cannot rely on it 100% since, as you stated, it is passive. I keep my eyes outside the cockpit and use it to help augment my traffic scanning.

Anyone have any experience with the Zaon XRX Onyx PCAS? I have one that a customer wanted connected to the G3X system I just installed and while the data connection seems to work (the G3X appears to be communicating with the Zaon; the error message goes away when I power the unit up), it does nothing else. It doesn't detect anything that I have ever seen, from a plane on approach a half mile away to a jet that was right next to it, it does nothing whether I have it set up to talk to the Garmin or not. This is a passive system so it depends on receiving transponders from other aircraft, correct? I have seen alot of negative posts on other forums about this thing. I was wondering what others think about it.

If you're just using it on the ramp, you may not see anything... especially since the G3X won't display nuisance traffic alerts when you're on the ground, even if they're detected by the traffic receiver.

Also, you can look for the green checkmark on the COMM config page on the G3X PFD to verify the RS-232 connection.

mcb

Last edited:
The Zaon units typically won't display traffic until they go into "flight mode". This happens after a 200' climb.

The Zaon units typically won't display traffic until they go into "flight mode". This happens after a 200' climb.

Okay well that explains alot. And I would guess that would be the way it operated whether it was plugged into the G3X or not. The customer has flown with the system a few times and it never showed him any traffic. However it is possible that he just wasn't close enough to any other traffic as he flies out of his own airstrip on his property.

XRX

I use my XRX in my RV7a and find it very useful. It will detect traffic while setting on the ground, you do not need to be flying. In fact, XRX tech support suggested to me changing the pressure altitude to see traffic when I was setting it up. So I changed the pressure altitude to 8000 and watched DFW traffic as we live SW of DFW near the Glen Rose VOR. As I update my RV10 panel I am buying another XRX because I find it useful.

You have the option upon startup to move directly into "flight mode" overwise after 20 seconds it defaults to ground mode.

G3X and XRX connection

If you're just using it on the ramp, you may not see anything... especially since the G3X won't display nuisance traffic alerts when you're on the ground, even if they're detected by the traffic receiver.

Also, you can look for the green checkmark on the COMM config page on the G3X PFD to verify the RS-232 connection.

mcb

Matt,
Flyer in Brazil is building a RV-10 for me but they are having trouble finding documentation on how to setup the connection between G3X and the Zaon XRX. What would be the best reference material on this matter ?
Thanks in advance,
Flavio

Matt,
Flyer in Brazil is building a RV-10 for me but they are having trouble finding documentation on how to setup the connection between G3X and the Zaon XRX. What would be the best reference material on this matter ?

The Zaon device emulates the RS-232 output of a GTX 330 Mode S transponder. So, if you follow the same instructions in the install manual that you'd use to hook up and configure a GTX 330, you should be in good shape.

mcb

thanks !

The Zaon device emulates the RS-232 output of a GTX 330 Mode S transponder. So, if you follow the same instructions in the install manual that you'd use to hook up and configure a GTX 330, you should be in good shape.

mcb

Matt, thanks for the quick repply. I forwarded it to Flyer.
Best, Flavio

Where is the customer flying out of? The Zaon will only display transponders that are being interrogated by atc. So, if they're flying in uncontrolled air space the odds of showing any traffic aren't good.

Flying in Rio

Where is the customer flying out of? The Zaon will only display transponders that are being interrogated by atc. So, if they're flying in uncontrolled air space the odds of showing any traffic aren't good.

Trevor, in my case I'll be flying a lot in the Rio de Janeiro Terminal, which is in fact a controlled airspace and where we have stricted VFR corridors, so I'm figuring the XRX will be of good use. Best, Flavio

Keep in mind that it is not just ATC that interrogate Xponders. Most all airliners, military and many corporate planes have active traffic systems that also interrogate Xponders.

Would like to know if the Garmin G3X is allready interfacing with the active TCAS GTS800 by Garmin. This was promised by Garmin long time ago.

I use the Onyx

Go to the Comm Set Up and choose NONE....right now it is problably showing GARMIN....make sure you choose NONE

Go to the Screen Options and Choose Screen A

I am assuming you are using an RV so choose LOW WING in the AIRCRAFT TYPE menu

Hope this helps

BTW...my screen burned and ZAON repaired it immediatelly. No questions asked

Back