What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maidened my RV-8 FB today (video)

Hey Dave, congratulations!!

That's one snazzy looking -8. Very sharp indeed.
(...and a nice three-poiner too...;) )

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purdy:D

I love the ShowPlanes canopy setup, and 3 blade.

Jealous I am........

Nice airplane, nice video, nice job. Some guys say the -8 doesn't take well to 3-point landings. You made it look easy.

I fly fom a short field (500 yards) that landing was over small trees on the edge of the runway and I was down and off before the marker board (175 yards!)

It's a good short field plane, but you have to fully commit to the 3 pointer and nail your speed, if you go at it half hearted it will bounce!!

I have only flown it 4 times now but its out of action now due to a missfire on the left mag (slick on bottom plugs) it's fine on the lightspeed. I put new plugs in but made no difference so I have removed the mag. It's a new engine IO360 (from vans) which only has about 3 hours on it so I have to find someone in uk that can do warranty repairs on it

Dave

Dave

What Rick said:

Nice airplane, nice video, nice job. Some guys say the -8 doesn't take well to 3-point landings. You made it look easy.

I had exactly the same thought. I find it is so light on its feet that it feels skiddish. You nailed the flair to the right attitude and it just sat down. Nice.

All went to plan Flys lovely and true.
the only bug bear I have is its heavy in pitch but i only had a litle smoke oil on board (rear baggage compartment)

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8i9fnryXRc

Nice one mate!!!

Where in Essex? Looks like Damyns Hall, but it has been ages since I was there. I flew from North Weald, Stapleford, Southend and Clacton in my time as a Flying Instructor in Essex.

Last edited:
That is a nice landing!!

Have you flown with a passenger yet? How did the three point landing go with some weight in the back? I am still trying to figure out the right speed for landings with passengers.

Anthony, Yup its Damyns Hall

LanceF53, it is so much nicer to fly and land with a passenger! with just me, full fuel and no smoke oil in the back the pitch stick forces are very high. on the down side of a loop you feel like your going to bend the stick!!!

I did a few circuits in it after that first flight and tried some different approach speeds, 70kts is perfect with 65kts at start of flair. i tried 65kts aproach and could not flair and the blip of power and the decending touch down ended in a small bounce, likewise if you come in a bit fast and go half way between 3 point and a wheeler it bounces. our runway is not long enough to try a fast wheeler.

Dave

All went to plan Flys lovely and true.
the only bug bear I have is its heavy in pitch but i only had a litle smoke oil on board (rear baggage compartment)

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8i9fnryXRc

Nicely finished and as usual you had the obligatory best 3-point landing you'll ever do right off the bat on the first flight. I've never nailed a solo 3-pointer as good as I did on my first flight too and I have the nose heavy IO-360-A1B6D and Hartsell prop combo which is an automatically easy tail low main wheel landing machine. Yes, that combo is actually not the funnest acro combo, very heavy stick forces pulling up when solo. What's your empty weight and balance numbers? I've learned to stop in about as short a distance as I could 3-pointing but with MUCH more consistency and 'safely'. Enjoy the capabilities!

Last edited:
Its 1112lb empty with CG at 77.05" but thats without the smoke system which is in the rear baggage compartment

Dave

That's good. Before painting I was 1125 pounds and 76.86 inches CG.

After painting, 1142 lbs and 77.86 inches GC.

I prefer how it flies acro with 25 pounds of weight in the rear baggage compartment.

I will keep the smoke tank full for a while and also change the tailwheel as i have the vans lightweight one on there but i have a normal one (weighs over a pound more!)

Still trying to dream up a nice tungsten bar to go on the tailwheel spring that will still alow the spring to work properly.

Dave

Thanks Guys,

It raining here in England today so no flying for me, so its into the workshot to carry on riveting the skins on the RV 10 Empennage :eek:

Dave

Video Removed?

Hi Dave,

Youtube tells me that your video has been removed - can I find it using another service?

Regards,
Mickey

Edit: Never mind - working now - thanks!

Last edited:
the guy that did the video removed it as people kept complaining about his choice of music! I asked him to put it back on and he did but the link was different, i did edit it and the link should work

Dave

Back