What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

carl nank

Well Known Member
Saturday May 22,2010, after 8 long years, my RV7-A airplane took to the skies and touched the face of God!!!!! What a thrill! In two days I put 5 hours on the Hobbs Meter.

After much dithering over the past 2 months, I sat at the departure end of the runway with the engine running, and could not think of another thing I had to do to the airplane, or plan that I needed to add to. With some trepidation, wearing cotton clothes in case of fire, all the thoughts of what could go wrong, all emergency plans worked out, and realizing this is finally it,,,,,,, I broadcast over the radio to Sharon's (my wife) hand held radio, I LOVE YOU SHARON,,,, I put the throttle full forward, and blasted down the runway. With the airplane going faster then I could think, I was off the ground and into the sky!

I can tell you, I don't believe I have had a bigger thrill in my life. Well, maybe one!

Since this is a new engine in the plane, I have to spend some hours breaking in the engine, going back and fourth from 75% power to 65% power, switching back and forth every 15 minutes, prior to continuing the test process on the plane. So I stuck around the airport circling and not getting too far away so I could land in case of an emergency. By the way, I GREASED THE LANDING!

I have to say again, the airplane flew great. Sharon is also ecstatic. She thinks I am a superman. I try my best to keep her thinking that.

God bless you all and a huge thank you to all who have helped me in this process,

Carl Nank

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Great job Carl! I did my first flight today and had the same nerves and thoughts you described before takeoff.

Way to go Carl

Congratulations Carl,

I've been following your progress since you got back home for Florida. Glad you got some air underneath the wings. If you get up in the Louisville area let me know.

Back