What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat belt attach

Ron B.

Well Known Member
What are most, doing with the 5/16" bolts that attaches the pilot/co-pilot shoulder belt? We would like to replace it with a stainless steel bolt of equal quality. Any suggestions?
Thanks Ron

I used the Van's supplied bolts. I would be concerned about stainless being more brittle than the AN bolt.

AN better than SS

With my experience with giant scale RC and very large model engines (200+ CC), I can tell you that Stainless bolts shear very easily compared to AN bolts.

We had a number of guys shearing prop bolts (6) for no appraent reason. We kept telling them to tighten them appropriately. Later when they sent their engines to have new hubs installed, we discovered they had been using aftermarket Stainless bolts.

I see I did not thank the responders, sorry. Thank you very much. I had read your responces and must have planned to respond later and never got back to it, sorry.
I found this post because I was searching for information on attaching enertial real belts to a single bolt. I seen on other sites that some people are using four # 10 bolts and drilling the base of the Amsafe enertial reals.
On our Supercubs we just used the original 3/8" hole and installed a 3/8" bolt. I do believe the bolt supplied from Van's is 5/16" and I had planned to make a bushing. If a 5/16" bolt will hold a non-enertial real belt why would it not hold an enertial belt?
Thanks in advance
Ron

Back