What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Fuel Totalizer

erich weaver

Well Known Member
Greetings

My rubber lined fuel lines were older so I just started replacing them with the Teflon ones, starting with the firewall forward section of my -7A that is equipped with an IO-360B1B. Upon installation I did a static run up with no issues noticed, but then on the subsequent flight test, the flow meter registered super high flow rates, like 30-40 gph. Fearing a leak, I quickly returned and landed without incident. Subsequent inspection shows no evidence of any fuel leaks. Other than the new hose connections to the flow meter nothing else was changed, so I’m stumped as to the reason for the erroneous readings. The flow meter is installed in the line between the mechanical fuel pump and the fuel spider. The meter is installed with the wires coming out the top. Perhaps it’s upside down? Seemed to work ok before in this orientation, but I’m trying to figure out what to change.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Erich

Which fuel flow sensor do you have? Red cube or the grey one? Perhaps some air in the line making it spin faster? Also, you can remove the fuel line just before the servo and pump it into a measuring cup to see the rate you get as a test.

It’s the grey one, a Floscan I think.
I’ll try disconnecting the hose at the purge valve and pumping some fuel through while monitoring the displayed flow rate and the measured output as you suggest.
E

Back