What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS and GRT

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
Has anyone used a Low-Cost GPS for positioning info on a GRT Moving Map? Stratux uses the VK-162 I believe it is....but don’t know about compatibility with GRT. I have the Sport.

I'm in the process of installing a Horizon 10.1 in my RV8. I went with the Safe-Fly 2020 GPS from GRT. I'm not sure what you consider low cost, but the one I used was $495 from GRT. Its nice that it also attaches to the back of the 10.1 Horizon.

I am familiar with the safe fly and I am sure it is impeccable workmanship. The GPS I referenced in my post can be purchased for $19.95.

I usually drive my grt Hx with a Garmin 420W. But my SkyRadar adsb-in has what I presume to be an inexpensive gps built in, and I designated it as gps2 in the efis, and, yes, it can drive the maps just fine.

Cheap chinese GPS puck

The internal GPS on may GRT SX has gone bad and the EFIS needs to be shipped to GRT which is a hassle from France.
I bought a very cheap GPS with RS232 output here : https://tinyurl.com/ywss6jpn.
It was just to wait till I get the opportunity to send the EFIS back.

But it works perfectly.

No idea how long it will last, it's been working for 6 months now, being installed under the cowl.

Which GRT do you have? That's the critical question.
Newer GRT devices come with a little "puck" GPS which provides fantastic performance. Pair it with GRT's internal mapping feature and Synthetic vision and you don't need an external GPS at all.

This assessment is based on experience with HX, Mini-X and Sport EX - my Sport EX doesn't have mapping, the other two do have mapping and Synthetic Vision. I feed them with a Garmin nagivator but when I fail that navigator I can pretty readily use the flight planning features and built-in GPS in the GRT devices to fly multi-waypoint flight plans.

Newer GRT devices come with a little "puck" GPS which provides fantastic performance. Pair it with GRT's internal mapping feature and Synthetic vision and you don't need an external GPS at all.

This assessment is based on experience with HX, Mini-X and Sport EX - my Sport EX doesn't have mapping, the other two do have mapping and Synthetic Vision. I feed them with a Garmin nagivator but when I fail that navigator I can pretty readily use the flight planning features and built-in GPS in the GRT devices to fly multi-waypoint flight plans.

I just installed a GRT Horizon 10.1, it still needs an additional GPS module. I used a Safe Fly 2020 GPS module which was $495. The GPS module comes with a little "puck". The Horizon 10.1 does have the internal maps and synthetic vision.

I have the Sport 10.1. It is new.

The Sport 10.1 and Horizon 10.1 don't come with the internal GPS that is found in the Mini and Sport EX. The internal flight planning capabilities of the EFIS allow one to provide the EFIS with simple GPS data - position, track etc, which the EFIS then uses as an input to drive the internal flight planning capabilities. Just about any GPS sensor will do as long as it outputs the appropriate format such as NMEA0183.

If, however, one wants to use the external GPS to perform the flight planning function than a more capable GPS receiver is required, something like a hand-held aviation GPS or, if one is feeling rich, a panel mount GPS navigator.

I went ahead and purchased the safe-fly GPS. I have a 10.1 SportEX with Mapping. it does not come with a GPS. Nice to know it will accept any GPS that provides serial information if the Safe-fly goes down for some reason.

Back