What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing kit lead times :(

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Just ordered my RV7 finishing kit and the estimated lead time for crating is now 6-7 months. The last time I looked it was quite a bit less than that. I want to say 16 weeks?

Shame on me for not thinking about what Covid might do to production schedules and ordering this 3 months ago!

I know how you feel. When the lead times started getting longer I ordered my RV7 finishing kit. That was back in September and it was scheduled to be crated this week. They notified me last week it would be another 2-4 weeks before it'll be crated.

Oh well...good things come to those who wait! :)

Just ordered my RV7 finishing kit and the estimated lead time for crating is now 6-7 months. The last time I looked it was quite a bit less than that. I want to say 16 weeks?

Shame on me for not thinking about what Covid might do to production schedules and ordering this 3 months ago!

Thats Crazy. I ordered mine 15 months ago and it was around 3 weeks.

Thats Crazy. I ordered mine 15 months ago and it was around 3 weeks.

I ordered my slow build -10 fuselage Monday and got a 7/19 crating date. Right at 6 months. It seems like Van's is just out of capacity to go faster.

If it's just a matter of crating and shipping.... Would they let you come and pick it up. Sounds like this is affecting lots of people. Maybe a few folks ban together and rent a truck then go pick the stuff up. Another thought is to price out each item in the FF kit and price it elsewhere. Probably more expensive but lot less wait time.

I didn't ask specifically, but I'm assuming that it's not just a matter of crating & shipping. I imagine they are cranking out parts as fast as they can, but Covid has a ton of us home ordering stuff.

In my case, it's the finish kit, not the firewall fwd kit. gear legs, canopy, cowling, stuff like that.

I believe Vans is having a hard time getting parts that they don't make in house. I got my finish kit about a month ago. Several parts were backordered including the tires. I just cancelled my tires and got a set from ACS. I'm still waiting for the axle nuts, axle mounting hardware and the canopy latch.

... Covid has a ton of us home ordering stuff

That's certantly true. While I used to work 3-6 days per week, now I'm down to about 1 day of work per week. That's a lot more progress happening on the plane, which means ordering more stuff to keep up.

Back