What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C-661 Slide block

REDII

Question: drilled and counterbore the slide block to accept the Clovis pin. So far so good. Now I’m getting ready to drill the hole for the cotter pin but I’m having some trouble getting a mental picture to how this is supposed to work. By my estimation the cotter pin will not be long enough to span the UHMW block to be able to crimp it over on the back side. Is the pin meant to be press fit? Thanks in advance.

C-661

Is the pin meant to be press fit?
Yes, that's the way I understood it. I decided to thread the block and replace the cotter pin with a long thin screw - I believe it was a 2-56 or something like that.

Image of the part in question to save others time:

C-661 detail RV-8.png

Bolt and castle nut

On the 7 slider the bolt goes all the way through with a nyloc. I used a drilled bolt with a castle nut and cotter pin.

I just noticed that my slide block is sliding on my paint, not on the canopy slide rail. I can file down the bottom of the C-661 to make more room to avoid it sliding on the paint but curious if others have seen the same thing?

IMG_9519.jpg

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed that my slide block is sliding on my paint, not on the canopy slide rail. I can file down the bottom of the C-661 to make more room to avoid it sliding on the paint but curious if others have seen the same thing?

Considering the entire canopy is an exercise in frustration management, I'd say, take it off and work it on the back rivet plate with sandpaper. Easy fix.

Yes, I had the same thing on my current RV-8. I filed down the bottom of the C-661 slide block to provide a gap between it and the fuselage skin. My previous RV-8 didn't have that issue.

Last edited:
Yes I noticed the same issue at installation and sanded it down, it's shown on the plans. A belt sander worked well.

Attachments

• Slider block.png
    Slider block.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 48
Yes I noticed the same issue at installation and sanded it down, it's shown on the plans. A belt sander worked well.

Thanks gents - I must have missed that in the plans or it's a more recent update.

Back