What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove vernier from combo style throttle cable

gyoung

Well Known Member
I've got a throttle cable that has both vernier control and friction lock. Van's sold them eons ago but I don't see them any longer. I want to remove/disable the vernier function and just go with friction lock. I seem to recall it was as simple as unscrewing "something" and a ball dropped out. Of course any instructions and my memory are long gone. I'd like to do it in situ if anyone can help refresh my memory. If I have to pull it out to make sense of it at least the cable housing disconnects to make it a little easier. Thanks.

I believe that what you are looking for is described on page 260 of the "27 Years of the RVator" if you have a copy of that document.

from the RV-List

Below is a post and response on the RV-List that answers your question.

The RV-List is an excellent resource, particularly for the older models, with an excellent search function.

>Does anyone know how to remove the ball from the Van's vernier
>trim/throttle cable to make it operate smoother??

Awhile back, I modified a Van's throttle cable for a fellow RV-6 builder.
He didn't want the vernier function and I agree. You un-thread the aluminum
end on the end of the throttle and push the throttle in. You'll see the
ball on the end of the cable and the cable can be easily removed. You can
then press the button on the control and pull the rod out of the housing.
The ball will fall out, roll around on the floor and never be seen again. I
discarded the rubber button and found a "snap plug", you know, the little
covers with prongs around the circumference that snap into holes, the
correct size, chucked it into my lathe and polished it and glued it into a
recessed groove that I machined on the plastic knob. The builder clear
coated the polished metal and it looks pretty good.
I don't feel that you should do anything to the trim cable. It works well
right out of the box and it doesn't require much movement to trim the aircraft.

I've got a throttle cable that has both vernier control and friction lock. Van's sold them eons ago but I don't see them any longer. I want to remove/disable the vernier function and just go with friction lock. I seem to recall it was as simple as unscrewing "something" and a ball dropped out. Of course any instructions and my memory are long gone. I'd like to do it in situ if anyone can help refresh my memory. If I have to pull it out to make sense of it at least the cable housing disconnects to make it a little easier. Thanks.

If yours is the old style Cablecraft one from the early kits, (like mine), then the following photos may help. Here’s how I did it. Unscrew the cable end and remove the panel mounted portion leaving the cable hanging. Then carefully remove the rubber boot on the knob (its glued in place, try not to tear it). The interior vernier mechanism can then be removed without any modifications necessary, so you can restore the vernier action in the future if you desire. I replaced the boot (for aesthetics) without re-gluing. (The previous post suggests you might not need to remove the rubber boot, but I didn’t happen on to that method).
Good luck!
Peter

Attachments

• 6FC13134-ABC1-4F91-8D38-28F02A4C4DDA.jpg
    6FC13134-ABC1-4F91-8D38-28F02A4C4DDA.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 208
  • B33E5748-280C-457D-9D7B-424FB7B78F1D.jpg
    B33E5748-280C-457D-9D7B-424FB7B78F1D.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 3075005C-E288-4661-B8A7-A6F63DE14324.jpg
    3075005C-E288-4661-B8A7-A6F63DE14324.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
If yours is the old style Cablecraft one from the early kits, (like mine), then the following photos may help. Here’s how I did it. Unscrew the cable end and remove the panel mounted portion leaving the cable hanging. Then carefully remove the rubber boot on the knob (its glued in place, try not to tear it). The interior vernier mechanism can then be removed without any modifications necessary, so you can restore the vernier action in the future if you desire. I replaced the boot (for aesthetics) without re-gluing. (The previous post suggests you might not need to remove the rubber boot, but I didn’t happen on to that method).
Good luck!
Peter

Thanks Peter! I had searched the archives but your pics show exactly what I've got - from the late 90's. The pics really help the memory. I remember now pushing the button and mistakenly pulling the stalk back far enough that the ball fell out. So I'll try disconnecting the cable and then repeating that "mistake" without removing the panel mount portion. Hopefully that will work. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

More on Friction Lock vs Vernier Control Cables

I am about to order custom (ACS) control cables and am considering friction lock (only) for controls (Throttle, Mixture and Prop), because of a more positive, non-slip/creep lock design. Is this a bad (or rule breaking) idea?
Tim Cook
Chino, CA

There are no rules. Consider that quadrant folks only have friction lock. I prefer friction lock for the throttle for flying formation. That's almost an edict in the formation community. But I like vernier for prop and mixture. YMMV

Back