What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training 9 to 14

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I did transition training with Mike Seager before flying my 9A. I’m currently building a 14A. Would you suggest transition training in a 14A? I’ll have about 500 hours in my 9A when I’m ready to fly the 14A.

Last edited:
Any time you get in any other plane and with someone very proficient in it is even better, but the 9 to the 14 is not a big deal. Besides a few knots faster in all segments of the approach phase, and a slightly higher speed over the threshold which will feel different, thats all I can think of.

If you get the chance to do some great, but it would not be a deal breaker. They are both well behaved.

Preparation

That is a difficult question to answer without knowing your level of competence and confidence in the RV-9A, and as a pilot generally. No offence meant!

But I do think it would be worth flying the RV-9A a lot beforehand so as to be very current and practised in a range of situations and emergency procedures.

What is the plan for who is going to do the first flight? If someone else is going to assist with test flying then I'd expect an hour or two familiarisation with him/her would be enough for a typical pilot.

Back