What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Landing Light Bezle

Weasel

Well Known Member
Just an idea if you run into this.

When mounting a landing light in the wingtip, there is a gap around the light that needs to be filled to finish the installation cosmetically.

Here is what we came up with.

Thanks again to EAA and DS for providing Solidworks to us for drawing the part in 3 dimension.

33080263651_19d5a8567a_b.jpg

33080262871_316c88268e_b.jpg

33080260741_fb63b2252d_b.jpg

33080260141_d925f223d8_b.jpg

ed....its a bezel not bezle but ah well who cares

Last edited:
Those look great!

I opted for the Ductworks install, but looking at this, I wish I hadn't. Nicely done. Do you have AC in your 10? If so, I don't see the belly scoop, so how are your bringing in air and exhausting it from the outside?

I like it. It looks professional! I wish my wing tips were big enough for this but they are not.

Verify your material

From the looks of the setup - a cooling fan on the print nozzle, I suspect you might have used PLA for the material. If so, please reconsider something with a higher glass transition temperature (Tg). Even if the LEDs don't put out much heat, a hot sunny day on the ramp will be enough to turn your mount into goo.

My apologies if you've considered this. Just thought it would be easier to correct now before you've painted and made it to a ramp somewhere....

Plenty of other material options are out there - ABS, polycarbonate, nylon, Taulman BluPrint, and others I probably haven't used.

Looks good though... I have lots of 3d printed doodads all over my airplane... when I get time I'll post pictures of them...

Don

Very Slick! Material?
ABS

How did you mount the lights? Does the bezel hold the light in place too?
no. The lights are mounted on a fiberglass bulkhead glassed into the wingtip.

From the looks of the setup - a cooling fan on the print nozzle, I suspect you might have used PLA for the material. If so, please reconsider something with a higher glass transition temperature (Tg). Even if the LEDs don't put out much heat, a hot sunny day on the ramp will be enough to turn your mount into goo.

My apologies if you've considered this. Just thought it would be easier to correct now before you've painted and made it to a ramp somewhere....

Plenty of other material options are out there - ABS, polycarbonate, nylon, Taulman BluPrint, and others I probably haven't used.

Looks good though... I have lots of 3d printed doodads all over my airplane... when I get time I'll post pictures of them...

Don
ABS material

I like it.
I'd be interested if I upgrade the lighting in the -10 I'm buying ... are you planning to sell them?

I like it.
I'd be interested if I upgrade the lighting in the -10 I'm buying ... are you planning to sell them?

This is a 7 wing tip. I don't think the 10 has big enough light fixtures for this size landing light.

No. It would be illegal for me to sell them provided I designed them with the student version of Solidworks

I agree, very professional.
However, ABS isn't very heat tolerant. LED modules can put out a lot of heat. If the LED module was designed to use the metal bezel around it as part of the heat sink, or if the heat sink is attached to the metal bezel, you might want to fire it up out of assembly and do some heat testing on the module before installing it.
I am amazed at the quality of work folks like you are doing with these machines. Cool stuff.

temp should be fine with ABS

18W PAR36 landing light turned on for 3 hrs. the highest temperature is metal at the upper surface of the light adjacent to the lens 56C. 35C at the outer plastic edge.

DSCN1246_zpscatskyr9.jpg

Last edited:
Back