What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly In Dining

jfrank71

Well Known Member
Any good places to fly into where you can eat on the field? Just got my -10 and my family and I love to eat. Would like to find some new places to go. I know Fredericksburg has the hangar hotel. Any good breakfast destinations for that Saturday morning hop?

Thanks

Brenham

Brenham has a good diner on the field. Great milkshakes.

EAA chapter 59 in McGregor (Waco) has pancake breakfast every first Saturday of the month.

KSEP

Go up to Stephenville! Should be an easy trip in the -10. Then you park the plane and either take the golf carts over to the Hard 8 BBQ, or call them and they'll come get you (if someone is already using the carts).

Just watch out for the GIANT tower NW of the airport, if you enter from that direction.

It's a blast!

Breakfast, or Lunch

While it's not on the field - Crawford, TX has a neat diner; http://www.thecoffeeshop.us. Fly in to Mc Greggor (KPWG) and grab the courtesy car and head west into town.

Not open for breakfast, but it's a pretty good burger -- Southern Flyer Diner, at the ramp in Brenham, TX (11R)

And then there's Mas Fajitas in Taylor, TX (T74) -- about 1000ft from the ramp.

Cheers...

Brian

Carl's BBQ

Carl's BBQ on the Field at EYQ Weiser Airpark.

2 RV's currently on the field.:D

http://www.fly2lunch.com

this is all you need to fly n feast. works great. :cool:

photocopy-1.jpg

Two more places ...

Hi Frank,

Kirby's BBQ @ Mexia Limestone Co (LXY) - About 35 miles East of Waco: A small mom-n-pop BBQ joint within walking distance. It's located abeam the numbers of 36 just along the highway (small red and white building). As of about 6 months ago, their hours were:

Sun-Tue: Closed
Wed-Fri: 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Sat: 10:00AM - 3:00 PM

Courtesy car available from the main FBO if you decide to walk.
Best not to walk on the highway's shoulder; folks like to drive on the shoulder over there.
Best to show up right when they open. If you've a sweet tooth, they've got something there called 'buttermilk pie'.
Whole BBQ Chicken sold on Saturday, IIRC.

Cross Wind Cafe @ Texas Gulf Coast Regional Airport (LBX) - about 35 miles SSW of downtown Houston: A great little restaurant with a menu selection from burgers to fried catfish. It's located right next to the ramp - park-n-eat.

Llano

Frank, the place you want to go is Coopers BBQ in Llano. Great BBQ and Larry who runs the FBO is a fixture for all fly-to-eat-ers in S. Tx. The airport can get pretty busy on a nice Saturday with all the planes coming in for BBQ. That's ok though, the airport provides 2 squad cars, 1 15 Passenger van and then Coopers provides another 15 passenger van and all they do is shuttle folks to Coopers. Even with all those wheels, on a good Saturday you may have to wait for a ride.

p.s. I'm the guy with the RV-4 and the Mooney 201 our mutual friend Dave was talking about. Feel free to PM me.

Another vote for Coopers

Frank, the place you want to go is Coopers BBQ in Llano. Great BBQ and Larry who runs the FBO is a fixture for all fly-to-eat-ers in S. Tx. The airport can get pretty busy on a nice Saturday with all the planes coming in for BBQ. That's ok though, the airport provides 2 squad cars, 1 15 Passenger van and then Coopers provides another 15 passenger van and all they do is shuttle folks to Coopers. Even with all those wheels, on a good Saturday you may have to wait for a ride.

p.s. I'm the guy with the RV-4 and the Mooney 201 our mutual friend Dave was talking about. Feel free to PM me.

Oh man, you are so right about Coopers BBQ and the excellent service from Larry at the Llano FBO. Rosie the Riveter and I spent the night there back in April (?) while delivering an RV-10 to a new owner in AZ. What a treat! Beautiful little hill country town with nice people and great BBQ. One of the squad cars was ours for the night, so we toured the town on a gorgeous spring evening after dinner at Coopers. I was kind of hoping the Barney Fife spot light mounted on the drivers side still worked, but no luck!:D

Back