What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oscilloscope recommendations

C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
I am looking to purchase a good used oscilloscope to do some tests with. Does anyone have a recommendation of a good unit that is inexpensive and well equipped ? I am trying to diagnose a signal from a fuel flow transducer. A nice simple to operate unit would be best for me.
Thanks

I have always wanted an oscilloscope - not because I have a real need for it, but they are fun to play with and look good on the bench! But now those big boxes with the CRT screen are pretty much obsolete - as I found out the last time I did Space Station maintenance refresher training just before I retired. For $200 or less, you can get a little cigarette-pack sized box that connects to your laptop with a USB cable, and test leads connect on the other end. Voila - instant scope - displayed on your laptop.

Now I want one of THOSE - not because I have a need for it, but jst becasue they are fun to play with....

For $200 or less, you can get a little cigarette-pack sized box that connects to your laptop with a USB cable, and test leads connect on the other end. Voila - instant scope - displayed on your laptop.

Now I want one of THOSE - not because I have a need for it, but jst becasue they are fun to play with....

Paul,
I can't seem to locate this item. Where did you come across it ?

O-Scope

Too bad you aren't closer. I still have mine that I built from a Heathkit in 1975, and I still use it once in a while. :)

Vic

I don't know anything about o'scopes, but I can google with the best of them. Pico Scopes sounds pretty good, and search on software oscilloscope or pc oscilloscope will give you plenty to choose from. Wish I knew why I needed one...

==dave==

Wow, I haven't used an oscilloscope in years... still have an old all tube-type Tektronix 5xx unit stashed away in a spare bedroom in my house. Hasn't been powered up in at least twenty years. It's been so long that I don't even remember the exact model number it is.

Google "USB Oscilliscope"

This is the type of "scope" available when I first started using them:

oscilloscope-vintage-tektronix.jpg

Man, seeing something like a "USB" oscilloscope just confirms that I really am a dinosaur.

:(

Pick what you like here:

http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_31.html

Then google search the model. Ebay has many but not always the specs.

If you have a windows PC then you are in, but get one with a screen if you have a mac laptop or computer.

I have been drooling over getting one but have no excuse yet, report your results, please.

Rigol gets pretty good reviews for a low priced digital scope. I'm still partial to the old analog scopes myself, I got an old Tek 475 I'd give you if you want to pick it up (weighs a ton).

Check Ebay

I bought a Tektronix 485 for $125 that came with probes and just came out of the calibration shop! Yes its an old box but having a fast time base with good sync lets you look at really fast signals too. More than just a fuel sender which is probably 30Khz max. You can find newer units there too.

Have fun,

I got my shop O-scope from e-bay. 100Mhz "portable" benchtop Tektronix 2337 with probes for around 100 bucks.

Whatever you get, I would highly recommend a 2 channel device. I have learned that more times then not, you want to know what is happening in two different spots at the same time....such as... why won't this output work if the input is triggering X. Sometimes the input is ****.

Galin;
Love the Tektronix 515A, I have a 516! When it comes to construction, these things are the most awsome! This kind of fabrication with silver tip ceramic combs & point to point wiring is never going to be seen again.
I'm no expert, but playing with an 'O'scope is just plain fun. I've used a Flukemeter scope, so handy! I love the big old ones, but they stay at home on the bench. The hand held scope fits in a tool box. what it lacks in resolution and features, it makes up in handyness & gets into the hard to reach spots.
Now you've got me thinking to use one to measure that whine in the headset and place a filter capacitor.

Last edited:
I have a Hantek DSO and a 4-channel 400 MHz Tek for the lab.

The Hantek was about $400 and i've used it in flight to capture ignition pulses. I've also used it on my office desk for debugging microcontroller circuits. It has a built in dvm as well.

An old 15Mhz BK, in use last weekend. It arrived at a friend's junkyard as scrap about 1990.

6fus94.jpg

You can download a program called Visual Analyzer that will act as an oscilloscope on a laptop. It uses the audio input for the scope input. Displays both frequency and time domain.

Last edited:
O scope

http://www.saelig.com/category/PSPCEL.htm
here are some of the pc based scopes. Saelig also has the Owon scope which is a fairly decent low end scope. I don't have a Rigol scope, but I do have one of their spectrum analyzers which I am very happy with.

One of the pc based units would work great on the frequencies your looking at for the fuel flow sensor.

Scope

Thanks for all the suggestions. There certainly is a wide range of scopes to choose from.

It depends on what you want to do with it. 2 channels should be minimum. Depending on the nature of the signal you want to look at is key to the required bandwidth required to faithfully reproduce the signal. In general more is better and cost reflects that....

I wish I had one too.

I use the vellerman pc based unit. they are less than 150 bucks and the new model is up to 1ghz. works great for the price.

bob burns
RV-4
N82RRB

Back