What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView Firmware 6.0

NASA515

Well Known Member
Dynon released SV Ver 6 yesterday - early! I downloaded it, did a fast manual study, uploaded it today and went flying.

I know Dynon seems to have abandoned the D-180 crowd, but their work in the SV arena is simply spectacular. I read the new Instruction Manual while waiting for my truck to get worked on. The autopilot is completely made-over (and after I studied the old setup ad nauseum to get it figured out!) It splits out the VFR pilot from the IFR pilot - you can pick which one you want. I tried both of them in-flight. The VFR offers many great features enabling a single button push to achieve various neat results - allowing you to go Wings Level, freeze your current Track and Altitude, or Nav heading and Altitude. The IFR guys get full Flight Director with choice of Winged Director Bars or Cross-pointers, MDA callouts, and more.

All the radio Push-Pull stuff is in there, I'll be wiring it up ASAP, ordered and received the shielded wire from SteinAir.

Amazing what software can do - upload a file and have a completely revamped flight deck system!

I am going to sign-off my Phase 1 Flight Testing tonight. My requirement was the standard 5 hours. I have 10.6 hrs Tach; 18.6 hrs Hobbs; 15 Flights, and 23 Landings.

Bob Bogash
N737G

One thing I noticed was odd with the update:

- I only have the transponder hooked up to one of my two skyviews, prior to the update I was able to select the serial data port for the transponder on one screen and leave it blank on the other. After the update, the screen that does not have a transponder hooked to it reads transponder fail, for some reason it populates a serial data port for the transponder, if you delete it it deletes in both screens! I don't get it.

Next is the ADSB pre update both screens which have the ADSB wired to them worked great, now one reads ADSB fail and the other works fine, serial ports both read as they should. Again I don't get it.

Any help would be appreciated

First flight tomorrow so I hope I can get this fixed.

In the release notes:

"Changed: Serial ports are now managed for the whole system, not per-display. This means that all serial devices must be connected to the same serial ports on all displays in parallel (this applies to both TX and RX wires)."

Don't for get legancy Dynon

I like the Skyview but just cant justify a new panel on a plane I just started flying, I sure hope Dynon sticks to the promise they made and get some stuff done for us D180 guys, sure seems like some of this stuff should trickle down to the legacy boxes.

IAS climbs and flying the vertical path on approach are two items I would like to see.

In the release notes:

"Changed: Serial ports are now managed for the whole system, not per-display. This means that all serial devices must be connected to the same serial ports on all displays in parallel (this applies to both TX and RX wires)."

Thanks Brantel I must have over looked that, what a pain, making a drastic wiring change requirement years after the release just doesn't sound right but I'm sure there is good justification for it.

EAA EFIS Webinar

I like the Skyview but just cant justify a new panel on a plane I just started flying, I sure hope Dynon sticks to the promise they made and get some stuff done for us D180 guys, sure seems like some of this stuff should trickle down to the legacy boxes.

IAS climbs and flying the vertical path on approach are two items I would like to see.

Yesterday I watched the EAA EFIS Webinar presented by someone from Dynon about two weeks ago. In his response to one of the questions at the end, he said that the legacy boxes were essentially done (no changes likely), partly because the CPU in the boxes was maxed out.

Yesterday I watched the EAA EFIS Webinar presented by someone from Dynon about two weeks ago. In his response to one of the questions at the end, he said that the legacy boxes were essentially done (no changes likely), partly because the CPU in the boxes was maxed out.
That would be precisely why I very patiently (which is very much counter to my nature) waited through the Dynon purgatory as I got caught between the D-180 and Skyview. Dynon will still provide excellent support for the D-180, but it was obviously that without the modular design of the Skyview suite, future enhancements would be very unlikely.

Phase 1 hours?

Dynon released SV Ver 6 yesterday - early! I downloaded it, did a fast manual study, uploaded it today and went flying.

I know Dynon seems to have abandoned the D-180 crowd, but their work in the SV arena is simply spectacular. I read the new Instruction Manual while waiting for my truck to get worked on. The autopilot is completely made-over (and after I studied the old setup ad nauseum to get it figured out!) It splits out the VFR pilot from the IFR pilot - you can pick which one you want. I tried both of them in-flight. The VFR offers many great features enabling a single button push to achieve various neat results - allowing you to go Wings Level, freeze your current Track and Altitude, or Nav heading and Altitude. The IFR guys get full Flight Director with choice of Winged Director Bars or Cross-pointers, MDA callouts, and more.

All the radio Push-Pull stuff is in there, I'll be wiring it up ASAP, ordered and received the shielded wire from SteinAir.

Amazing what software can do - upload a file and have a completely revamped flight deck system!

I am going to sign-off my Phase 1 Flight Testing tonight. My requirement was the standard 5 hours. I have 10.6 hrs Tach; 18.6 hrs Hobbs; 15 Flights, and 23 Landings.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob
I thought the phase one hours with certified engine/prop was 25 hours. Has that changed?
Larry

The 25 hrs is part of EAB rules. ELSA is different. 5 hours, even though the ROTAX 912ULS engine in the RV-12 is not "certified" (!!!!) ELSA rules!

even though the ROTAX 912ULS engine in the RV-12 is not "certified" (!!!!) ELSA rules!

Actually, it is to some degree.

True, the RV-12 doesn't use the certificated version of the engine, but the one it does use is ASTM compliant (part of the ASTM's that the S-LSA RV-12 is certified under).

I was starting work on configurating my Skyview and found out that version 6.0 is current now while I am running 5.3. This thread initiated by Bob Bogash seems positive about Skyview 6.0 and I am curious to know how many so far have done the upgrade. I think that I have no choice anyway as the only documentation available online at the Dynon site is related to 6.0.

Skyview V 6.0

I have been using Version 6.0 since it was made available. No problems. There are enough changes that I decided to have printed a new Pilot User Guide. I also printed (at home) the install manual pages on autopilot tuning.

Did the autopilot tuning last week in smooth air. Seems OK. Have not yet checked to see how it will be in rough air.

I have not systematically checked out and verified each of the V6 changes. Just loaded it, flown a few hours and tuned the autopilot. I am using the ADSB module and find it to be a great plus. I am not yet comfortable with the map interface but confident that will come with experience.

Thank you Keith, that makes two positives and no negative, I will take it!
In the same thread's spirit, I am not quite clear about configuration/calibrations that have to be performed. The very thorough System Installation Guide seems to address the most general case of installing from scratch for any type of airplane. I understand that we have specific RV-12 data preloaded in the Skyviews we receive from VANs. Is there somewhere a list of the sensors we have to configure/calibrate? Because of posting I read I already know that auto pilot and Trim should be on that list but I would rather not go fishing into this big Installation Guide :eek:.

Configuration

It has been a while, but as I remember, I just did the trip through the Dynon install guide, following the instructions in each section.

As for RV12 specific, I do not remember much. The trim, is covered by Van's, but very poorly. I got most of my guidance on trim from VAF, not from Van's. In the engine area there are pre-set values which flow out of the Rotax 912 engine choice you make early on.

My experience was to do what I could and when something did not work, run it down. Usually I found my problem was with some clear instruction I had skipped in the excitement of seeing it all seem to "come alive".

Others will have better recollections.

Back