What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side by Side Wife Hauler

NYTOM

Well Known Member
For those of you with a side by side and do a lot of X-country with the better half......do you remove the passenger stick to make it more comfortable for her?:)
I found a nice push button mechanism at McMaster Carr for my passenger stick so it's impossible to inadvertently remove it but still makes it possible if desired. ;) I want to make it as comfortable as possible for her to do what ever women do over there while on a long trip. :confused: Also to those that DO remove the stick, did you have some kind of plug for the PTT? Just looking for some ideas here. I would think even trying to read a book would be a pain with that stick there. :mad: And there's the possibility of her moving it inadvertently.:eek:

I have been leaving it in. No complaints from Wife. Removing it isn't a problem but so far it hasn't been an issue.

If I removed the stick, I think my better half would dis-avow knowing me. I certainly wouldn't be happy if he did it to me. Why would anyone take away their partner's opportunity to help fly or, God forbids, land the plane in case the pilot is overtaken with illness or knocked silly by a bird strike? The only time I have taken the stick out is when the passenger is a very young child or a dog. I wouldn't do that to an adult.

Leave in

I leave it in during long flights with the wife and she doesn't seem to mind as she spends her time reading her ebooks. My stick is set-up to be removed if so desired. I have a Tosten stick grip (love it, stick had to be cut down) and drilled the front side of the tube just above the connection for the cable to come out. This is inside the boot cover so is not seen. The cable is wire tied to the lower part of the stick and routs to a subD 9 connector that I have velcroed to the belly skin. I used the plastic type velcro like they use to hold your toll road pass onto the windshield. I can remove the bolt holding the stick in and unhook the wire in a couple minutes.

But...do what you have to to keep the wife happy.:)

The stick itself doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I put the co-pilot PTT on the panel. Little top button on the stick had an autopilot connect/disconnect that somehow she would manage to accidentally touch all too often. Cut those wires and now both of us are happier.

She would be happier if it was there and you became incapacitated. She wouldn't be the first non-pilot wife to land a plane:eek:

My wife prefers not to have the stick in her way, and I like it that way as it gets interesting when she's trying to get something out of the back. So if you ask me, it's safer with it removed. I do keep it behind the seat just in case I drop dead unexpectedly :eek:

What does your wife want?

Thousands of hours without the right stick bolted in, and I haven't become incapacitated, my wife couldn't care less about piloting, a stick's never in the way to make entry/exit more difficult or sudden inadvertent bumping at the wrong time (especially for the non-flexible or non-pilot pax), and if I want to sit in the cockpit at night at OSH and read by map light, the stick's not in the way. It's not in the way if the ice chest and do-nuts go where she isn't on a flight.

Keeping the stick loose but handy is useful for controlling the pilot.

A PTT on the panel takes care of wiring, or a simple connector inside the tube if the stick's to be installed for another pilot. Just plug the stick into the socket. Bolt it if you want assurance co-pilot won't do a Laurel and Hardy on you during flair.

What does your wife want?

John Siebold

Last edited:
I agree with Louise. Her situation is different since they are both pilots however when I needed to look at something and asked her to keep the plane on track she has been helpful.

I think she likes it too!

I have the same McMaster quick release button on the passenger stick. PTT is on the panel. No wires. Foam grip.

Its her choice whether the stick is installed or not. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

There you have it

Absolutely yes, definitely not, what ever your wife wants, and maybe. I believe we have a consensus - do what YOU want!

Co-Pilots Stick

My wife took one look and asked, "Is that thing going to be there all the time"? and I said no its not. I will have a quick release pin, a push-to-talk switch on the panel near the throttle and a way to clip the stick securely in the baggage comp. In a emergency situation a person in the right seat should be able to fly the plane with the left stick.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Thank you for the replies.

Ok, going with the removable stick and plug-in PTT (when flying with another pilot) and a redundant PTT on the panel. Also putting a stick retainer on the right sidewall so it can be retrieved very quickly if needed. I'll let her decide after a few long flights if it's a problem for her or not. I'm desperate to keep her happy and comfortable. ;) That old saying that if Mamma is happy everyone is happy is so true.
Thought it would be a good idea to have the option anyway if traveling alone to Osh or some other very long X-country where I'd need every inch for tents, coolers, etc. Aviation has been a tug of war with my wife since my first flying lesson back in the 80's. She's still not comfortable with even flying in the big fancy jets with on-board toilets. I have a photo I like to show people when they ask if my wife likes my hobby. It's her sitting on a lawn chair at Osh reading a book as the Boeing Dreamlifter taxis past. Didn't even glance at it.
If only all wives were like Paul's I'd have a perfect life and this would not be an issue. :D

I recently removed mine.

My wife likes the stick removed so she has a bit more freedom of movement and ease of entry. One other advantage is that there is no cold air coming up around the stick since I covered the area with a piece of vinyl.

Do you really need a panel PTT?

Ok, going with the removable stick and plug-in PTT (when flying with another pilot) and a redundant PTT on the panel. :D

There is really no reason to have a PTT on the panel if you take the stick out. Your non pilot passenger will never have to use it as it is only to transmit and not for intercom. If you have a pilot passenger they will want the stick in with the PTT button. I fly a lot with my pilot son and I have to swap left seat legs (he's bigger than me), so I am the passenger many times. I would feel naked with out a stick in front of me even if there is .000001% chance my 22 yr old son would ever become incapacitated.

Per PS Engineering intercom wiring recomendation I did add a set of jacks and a PTT on the panel. I belive it is only needed if you have to pull the intercom for service and have to fly with out it. If it is not working but still in place you still have direct connection from pilot to COM and can still communicate with the regular pilot jacks and PTT, just no co-pilot connection and no intercom. In hindsight I would leave out the panel jacks and PTT and take the risk of being down for a wk or two if I have an issue with the intercom. For the record PS 3000, 550 hrs, 5 years, no issues, working great.

Your right Frank

Actually thinking the same thing as I wrote that post.
When I started my project I promised myself I was going to use the KISS principle to get flying as fast and economical as possible. Then I found this site and all the really cool ideas people have and products out there and the next you know your adding more and more fluff that's not necessary. :eek:
Vlads doing exactly what I planned to do but I got lost along the way. :(
But I'm still pounding away and getting close. ;)
At least people don't think it's a boat anymore. :D

I used a quick release button to secure the stick and allow easy removal, and passenger comfort. It also lets me remove the seats and use a baby carrier. I used a small connector secured with silicone tape on the outside for the wires that is hidden by the stick boot. I think the most important thing I did in regards to the wife's comfort was the Oregon Aero seats and flyboys seat heaters!
17D03C5B-5753-4848-9748-745794DC4EC1-9604-00000576DDC55F6E_zps9386a3a5.jpg

CEA55180-E8E2-490C-947E-33874D0E5082-15534-000008A998B0C45C_zps1c62f41b.jpg

CF4BB68A-EEFB-4D12-97BD-D646105F3555-7663-0000043B0204DB60_zpsfaf96513.jpg

EDD01A26-88CE-4DA3-ADCA-BBD8BFB7B33F-4845-0000070FF9DC30F6_zpsdb62ab64.jpg

Last edited:
Use RC Airplane Servo Connectors

My non-pilot wife does not like the stick in her way, so I made it removable with a pin and RC airplane servo connectors with some extra wire inside the tube. Easy to plug/unplug.

I remove the stick because my wife goes to sleep and puts pressure on the stick and I don't like flying in circles.

I use Quick-Release Button Connectors for Telescoping Tubing from McMaster-Car to hold the stick in place and RC battery connectors for the PTT.

That's an interesting option. I don't take my stick out for my wife, but it sure would makes things easier when I have to get underneath the panel or need better access to the access panel on the tunnel. My physique prevents me from getting in those areas with the stick in place on my RV-10.

I do have a db connector so I can remove the stick, as well as a toggle switch on the panel that disables all the buttons on the grip. (It just interrupts ground to the grip). I put in for flying with Young Eagles so if they are tempted to push a button nothing happens.

I remove the stick because my wife goes to sleep and puts pressure on the stick and I don't like flying in circles.
Always fun when you're good and relaxed on that cross country, all trimmed or on autopilot and the wife/passenger smacks the stick with something. :eek: Talk about waking up!!! *No stick for you!!* (In my best soup Nazi voice...)

Back