What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Canopy Guide

Taildrgr

Well Known Member
I have seen pictures of a tip-up canopy guide made of delrin that aligns the rear latches as the canopy closes.
Does anyone have a cheap source for small pieces of delrin?
The cheapest I can find is Grainger at $70 for 7/8 x 12 x 12. I would prefer a smaller size if possible. The guide is about 7/8 x 1 x 4 and of course would need 2.

I think there are multiple materials that could be applicable.

Delrin Acetal (as already mentioned)
Nylon (any version)
UHMWPE (the likely material in the kitchen cutting boards suggested above)
PTFE Teflon in high durometer form.

I'm sure there are other solutions too.

I think mine are UHMWPE but not sure since I had all the above materials in the scrap bin at the time.

I bought a 12" x 12" chunk that is 3/4" thick from McMaster, then just used the table saw to make appropriate sized slices of the material. I've still got a bunch left over, so if you want some of it, let me know and I will get rid of this stuff for shipping & handling charges.

Nylon works ...

I used 1/2" thick nylon that I got from one of our A/C suppliers (Spruce, as I recall). The stuff is a BEAR to cut. I about destroyed a friend's bandsaw blade cutting the pieces to the right shape ...the nylon gets sticky as it warms and the blade binds like crazy, heating the nylon up even more. Nevertheless, the finished guides work well.

Here is the material that I used. Commentary from my web site photos attached.

IMG_3977-M.jpg

This is UHMW plastic, 1"X4", 3/4" thick, with the corner cut down.
I cut this material with the table saw, then used sand paper of progressively smaller grit to get this all smoothed out.

IMG_3978-M.jpg

You could put these either both on the outer side (as shown here) or both on the inner side of the latch lug. My canopy wants to spread out slightly, so I'm going to mount this on the outer sides. I'll put 2 counter sunk screws through this plastic to mount it to the roll bar. Getting a wrench inside the roll bar to tighten the screws will be impossible, so I plan on making a small plate with nutplates on it to secure this.

IMG_3981-M.jpg

The guide block installed on the roll bar. I had to open up the slot for the lower latch lugs just a bit. It is a very tight fit, but with the guide blocks in place the canopy comes down nicely and into closed position smoothly.

Bruce,

I will be starting my canopy soon and if you have enough of the plastic left over I would be happy to cover your costs. Let me know. Thanks.

By the way, I just looked over your build website....very nice job.

Black?

Hey Larry. I'm interested in your product. Is it possible to get these guides in black (delrin or similar)? If so, I bet I could get a few additional sold for you to local friends.

Thanks!

black canopy guides

Great timing on the black color question. The natural color guides have been flying out the door and it is about time to crank out another batch. I will check with my supplier regarding black material on monday. With what I can see on line, it does not look like a problem.

Natural color guides are in stock now, black should be available in aproximately 3 weeks. Stay tuned.
http://www.bullerent.com/CanopyGuide.htm

other products?

Larry,

Any interest in creating other similar parts for the RV tip ups? I would like the white canopy latch blocks and any other visible white parts (flap actuator arm blocks) in black if available.

Thanks again.

canopy handle block C-608

Larry,

Any interest in creating other similar parts for the RV tip ups? I would like the white canopy latch blocks and any other visible white parts (flap actuator arm blocks) in black if available.

Thanks again.

possibly.....I will look into it. I don't see why not.

Gassman....they sell as a set of two. one left and one right.

Back