What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

access to rear of Dynon EFIS and using Wi-Fi

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
My 12 was built in 2013. I am owner #3. I use FlyQ and FlyQ is supposed to be able to transfer charts and plans, etc. over Wi-Fi from the iPad to the Dynon with a feature named "Slingshot". The Dynon is the original "classic".

After a lot of back and forth with both Seattle Avionics (FlyQ) and Dynon, I have determined that BOTH USB ports must be used. One is used for the Wi-Fi adapter and one must have a properly formatted USB storage device. BTW, you need a separate data subscription for this; the one that is just for FlyQ won't do it.

I have found both Dynon and Seattle Avionics to be very responsive to my questions and very quickly. This is a pleasant surprise since so many companies treat email as if it were snail mail - at best. Both these companies are tops for customer service. They could have been a lot clearer, though, in the documentation on how to use "Slingshot".

My airplane has a closed-up bottom behind the panel with a single USB port showing just above my right knee. So far, I cannot figure out how to get at the rear of the box to use the second USB port. The airplane is E-LSA but as far as I know was built exactly to plans so that it could be OK'd as that and not EAB.

If anyone has any easy, practical suggestions for how to get at the second port, even if only long enough to insert one of the two necessary things (and leave it in) then I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• large_image_1750116_5_1656355472.jpeg
    large_image_1750116_5_1656355472.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 134
I have the HDX, but are you saying if you remove the six screws on the bezel of the Skyview that it does not come out the front of the panel? The HDX does, and the USB ports are on the back of the unit.

I have the HDX, but are you saying if you remove the six screws on the bezel of the Skyview that it does not come out the front of the panel? The HDX does, and the USB ports are on the back of the unit.
That seems fairly easy. I will try it thanks. I should have thought of it.

The installation manual isn’t as clear when it comes to the Classic Skyview, but see the attached for where the I BELIEVE the USB ports are located. And something I did on mine was to install panel-mounted USB extensions so I didn’t have to remove the panels to get to the ports on the rear. Also, note in my photo, that access to the avionics bay is through the top of the panel, not below. It’s a real PIA removing all the necessary screws, but some modifications or repairs are much simpler if you do.

Attachments

• 2B97ACF5-83C8-42AD-B9CD-FC692B568053.jpeg
    2B97ACF5-83C8-42AD-B9CD-FC692B568053.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 56842DE5-202F-48B5-8FA6-620F27C64EBC.jpeg
    56842DE5-202F-48B5-8FA6-620F27C64EBC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
I drilled a hole under the panel base large enough to fit the cable end through, installed two short USB extension cables on the back of the Skyview, and dropped them through the hole. I now have two USB plugs available externally. I keep the WiFi dongle in one, the other is the monthly data update.

I drilled a hole under the panel base large enough to fit the cable end through, installed two short USB extension cables on the back of the Skyview, and dropped them through the hole. I now have two USB plugs available externally. I keep the WiFi dongle in one, the other is the monthly data update.

Similar to above, I ran the extension cable into the glove compartment and keep the USB thumb drive in there, out of the way (no wires hanging out of the avionics shelf)

Back