What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield fairing

Jwputnam

Well Known Member
My windshield will be glued on tomorrow. I am using Sika along the roll bar and the sides up to the curve. I will depend on the fiberglass laminate to secure the forward portion to the deck. (I used small clips in that area as well.)

I am having a difficult time discovering the proper laminate schedule and width sizes for the fairing that I will be producing. I am clear on the forward portion (windshield to deck) with a filet of balloon mix followed by successive increments widths of 1/4? for about 7 layers for an eventual width of about 2 and 1/2 inches, but I can find no instructions as to how to proceed along the sides back to the canopy. I have seen some drawings on various web sites, but no dimensions or laminate schedule. I can find no references on the Van?s instructions or drawings.

In addition, I can find no reference as to the width of the ?Targa? overhang. What width on the windshield side and what width over the canopy? How many layers of glass? Tapered with varied widths or simply all the same width? My plan was to use all carbon on the section over the roll bar...or maybe alternate carbon and 10 ounce glass for perhaps five or six layers of maybe 5? wide strips.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Vans?

Have u watched the Van?s videos on fiberglass fairings? On their website. That?s what I used.

I have done this three times and all have followed about the same. For Targa strip the forward part has corresponded to a line slightly forward of the visible roll bar and in your case Stika line. The aft is 1/2" by Vans but I have gone closer to 1" to cover the slider portion frame and Stika line. No problem with operation. On sides you basically just keep adding to fill in and match the Targa strip. I create a pocket at the bottom of the Targa strip for the front of the rear canopy to slide into with the bottom open. See the front page posting of my first flight as posted yesterday here on VAF or Vans First flight page to see a picture of my current plane.

Back