Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:02 PM

Default RV-8A fuel smell after landing

Hi folks:
I just “adopted” my recently purchased and RV-8A and did my transition training. It is a wonderful aircraft to fly. Lots of minor squawks but a possibly worriesome one that I wanted to consult the experts on this forum on.
I have a carbureted O-360.
After landing with the fuel boost pump on and mixture rich I get a smell of fuel that goes away. This happens every time on landing:
Old 07-04-2022, 08:34 AM

Look for the telltale blue stains on the fuel runs aft of the firewall, including wing root. Don’t forget to look at the vent lines as well.

Here a small air leak will show up as a fuel smell after running the boost pump for landing. The RV-8/8A fuel line plumbing is challenging - and a source of hours of “loosing your religion” work.

Carl
Old 07-04-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Look for the telltale blue stains on the fuel runs aft of the firewall, including wing root. Don’t forget to look at the vent lines as well.

Here a small air leak will show up as a fuel smell after running the boost pump for landing. The RV-8/8A fuel line plumbing is challenging - and a source of hours of “loosing your religion” work.

Carl
Thank you so much. I will troubleshoot based on this valuable tip!
Old 07-04-2022, 10:15 AM

I had a tank leak develop at the famous aft baffle seam. It was small enough I couldn’t see any evidence of it externally but found it with a borescope. I could smell it in the cockpit after landing for some reason.

Good hunting
IO360-M1B
Hartzell Composite CS
Flying Phase 1
KAJO
Old 07-04-2022, 10:34 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Probably not your case, but the -8 is well known to give a fuel smell with full tanks in the pattern because it burps a little fuel out the tank vents, and this migrates into the under-wing passenger vent. It seems more common with a full right tank than left (probably because that is the side the vent is on).

If you’re sure it only occurs with the pump on, then you might well have a leak somewhere - but since you’re new to the -8, figured you should know of this “characteristic”. I think other models will burp fuel out the vents as well, but they don’t have an under-wing vent to pipe the fuel into the cockpit.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-04-2022, 11:00 AM

Default Value of VAF

Ironflight,
This is one of the many reasons this VAF forum is so valuable! Pearls like this. Funny thing was when I saw the post I thought what the heck, then read it and went oh yeah, just took that "uniqueness" for granted everyone else knows this. Nice to keep sharing the nuisances of each airplane type.
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Probably not your case, but the -8 is well known to give a fuel smell with full tanks in the pattern because it burps a little fuel out the tank vents, and this migrates into the under-wing passenger vent. It seems more common with a full right tank than left (probably because that is the side the vent is on).

If you’re sure it only occurs with the pump on, then you might well have a leak somewhere - but since you’re new to the -8, figured you should know of this “characteristic”. I think other models will burp fuel out the vents as well, but they don’t have an under-wing vent to pipe the fuel into the cockpit.
I found these blue telltale signs by the fuel flow transducer cube.
The area around it was dry but there was an oily residue near the corners. It appears that there is a very small amount of vapor coming from there. Aircraft is grounded until this can be traced and fixed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D7D6F96A-2CA4-4008-B8AB-7BF77B8C05E8.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	27761