What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vr, Vx and Vy for the RV-14A?

Brucelan

I have been trying to figure this out for a while...

I have read that the correct way to do it is to flight test your particular airplane, but it requires light winds and precise measurements. Sounds like it would be easy to get inaccurate results if you are not an experienced flight tester.

I didn't see anything on the Van's website or in the plans either.

The reason I am asking is I am planning to take my CFI checkride in my RV-14A and there are several maneuvers that require you to pitch to Vx or Vy. I am comfortable that I know these values closely enough to be safe, but for a checkride I would like to know them more accurately.

Anyone care to share how they determined Vx and Vy for their airplane?

Thanks,

Bruce
N662F
RV-14A slow build
165 flight hours
Previously owned both an RV-8 and an RV-10

Vr irrelevant for a light single. The nose wheel should be off well before the aeroplane’s ready to fly.

I gathered data for Vy, Vx, and Vbg during a series of climbs and descents with airspeed hold set in 5-knot increments per cycle. I live at 2100 MSL so I had to extrapolate to sea level, and of course was farther below gross each cycle. I don't recall the math but I do recall coming out close to the Van's-suggested numbers.

Back