What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convoluted PTFE SS braided hose

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I’m adding a gascolator to my plane and have to make a few fuel lines. The PTFE (Teflon) come in either smooth or convoluted. The convoluted has a much tighter bend radius than the smooth therefore I would like to go with a convoluted. The firewall on the RV3 is narrow.

My question is will the convoluted inner liner create tiny air bubbles affecting the accuracy of of the fuel flow sensor?

Also it seems pretty difficult to find metal AN6 hose fittings. I’ve found a steel straight fitting but no 90 or 45 fittings. All of them are aluminum. I could have the hoses made but to try to get an accurate length can sometimes be difficult especially with way the hose bends, so I rather make them on site.

Thanks

Daren----typically convoluted teflon has a true bore ID--meaning a -6 hose is actually .375 ID and not .320 which is the smooth bore standard. Most all readily available hose ends for teflon are for smooth bore. Convoluted teflon has its own fittings. Also be advised against mixing hose and fittings manufactures. They match their products.

To answer your question, a FULL convoluted hose, on both the OD and ID, can potentially have some turbulence. Not so much in larger IDs---above .750.
A smooth bore/convoluted hose has the flexibilty of the convoluted hose, and the smooth bore flow of a standard teflon hose.

Tom

Back