What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9/9A POH (PDF format)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
…a dedicated thread for you to attach your POH document. The attach button looks like a paperclip.

PLEASE: Put your Name and N-number in the subject line

v/r,dr

Unable to upload, Word docx is an invalid file. [ed. PDF is the format of choice. Choose export to PDF in Word and upload that. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Burdette N99JD

Attachments

• Pilots Operating Handbook Serial Number 91369_Amdt 10 April 2022.pdf
    752.1 KB · Views: 577
How to

So how do I plagiarize if it is in pdf format. Do I have to ask the author for permission to get a word format?

So how do I plagiarize if it is in pdf format. Do I have to ask the author for permission to get a word format?

Yes, just send the author a PM asking for the .doc source document. I’ll bet real money that you’ll get a favorable response (I’m certainly willing to share mine).

RV-9A POH N37EL

Here is mine. Any comments on errors, etc. greatly appreciated.
Ed

Attachments

• RV-9APOH N37EL.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 705
Thank you

Thank you for providing a PDF of your POH. I am writing my own and am mashing together the Cessna format that explains the critical systems and the topics you all have covered in your POHs.

Here is mine. Any comments on errors, etc. greatly appreciated.
Ed
Thanks. I am always trying to update mine. I have a couple questions for you.
1. It says you changed to FI. How difficult was that and did you notice much difference?
2. What prop are you running?

Thanks for the help.

POH FOR RV9A - N523CK

Fairly new to the group. I bought my RV9A 7/13/2022 from Geoff Loagan. It was constructed by Clarence Key and first flew in 2009. POH is attached.

Attachments

• N523CK POH.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Reading these POH, I am wondering why my plane is quite a bit slower than the other RV9…..

My set-up:
RV9a
YO 320-D2G, 160hp
Sensenich fixed pitch 70CM7S9-0-79 (as recommended by Vans)
Magneto ignition

This is what I get:
- DA 6000ft full power, leaned and 77% (shown on Dynon): 2530RPM, 24.5MAP, 151KTAS with 34 liters/hour (8.9us gal)….
My gear is covered with boots, the intersections from to the wings are not perfect, but existant. I am sure I can get another 2-3kts out of improvements of the gear cover, but it looks like I am missing around 10-15kts…. Never reached 160KTAS.
And sure, maybe my system is off. But even without wind, my groundspeed is not reaching these numbers… And as far as I am not completly off, TAS should not be less than GS in almost no wind conditions….

Would be great if you have a word of wisdom where to look for…

Cheers
Sunit

The Need for Speed

I've got a Hartzell CS but otherwise the same setup. At that altitude, mp, and rpm, back-of-the-envelope, I'd say you're "missing" about 10 knots.

As a first step, I would definitely run a test of your system to confirm you're getting correct measurements. Sounds like you are, but it's important to know and easy enough to figure out. https://www.kitplanes.com/flight-testing-finding-tas-from-gps-data/

Reading these POH, I am wondering why my plane is quite a bit slower than the other RV9…..

My set-up:
RV9a
YO 320-D2G, 160hp
Sensenich fixed pitch 70CM7S9-0-79 (as recommended by Vans)
Magneto ignition

This is what I get:
- DA 6000ft full power, leaned and 77% (shown on Dynon): 2530RPM, 24.5MAP, 151KTAS with 34 liters/hour (8.9us gal)….
My gear is covered with boots, the intersections from to the wings are not perfect, but existant. I am sure I can get another 2-3kts out of improvements of the gear cover, but it looks like I am missing around 10-15kts…. Never reached 160KTAS.
And sure, maybe my system is off. But even without wind, my groundspeed is not reaching these numbers… And as far as I am not completly off, TAS should not be less than GS in almost no wind conditions….

Would be great if you have a word of wisdom where to look for…

Cheers
Sunit

Va?

I see a couple people have listed Va at 132. I thought Va was 118mph for all 9A’s? Has that changed since I completed mine in 2015?

As a first step, I would definitely run a test of your system to confirm you're getting correct measurements. Sounds like you are, but it's important to know and easy enough to figure out. https://www.kitplanes.com/flight-testing-finding-tas-from-gps-data/

I think that there's an easier way, if your plane can read out winds aloft. Or if not, you can use forecast winds aloft.

1. Fly directly upwind and record indicated airspeed and groundspeed
2. Fly directly downwind and record indicated airspeed and groundspeed. (should be the same indicated airspeed)
3. The difference between the two groundspeeds is twice the wind speed.
4. Subtract the wind speed from the bigger groundspeed to get "corrected IAS."
5. Compare that with indicated airspeed to get airspeed error.

Yes, the wind will actually be the difference between true airspeed upwind and down, but if the wind is reasonably small, the difference between true airspeed and indicated will also be small, and it won't make much difference.

If your plane records everything digitally, you can take 10 or 20 or 30 second averages to smooth out any irregularities.

Also, if the heading is within 10° of upwind and downwind, effects of heading error will be small.

Quick and dirty, plenty close enough, no fancy math required. And you can do the checks at multiple airspeeds on one flight, too.

Error

There appears to be an error in your CG calculations; the empty weight and moment are different in sample table.

Thanks for pointing out that error. I had moved an autopilot servo and had not updated that part of my weight and balance in the POH. I have corrected it. It only moved the CG by a tiny bit but still an error.
Ed

Thanks. I am always trying to update mine. I have a couple questions for you.
1. It says you changed to FI. How difficult was that and did you notice much difference?
2. What prop are you running?

Thanks for the help.

The fuel Injection was not too big a deal to do but does require a new pump for the boost pump as well as the engine pump to get the right pressures. The difference in performance and ease of starting, operating, economy, smooth lean of peak, etc. is well worth doing. I have the Bendix experimental Precision Airmotive system but If I were doing it from scratch, I would use Airfllow Performance since they are located in Spartanburg, SC, 60 miles from me. I can start leaning at 75% power and lean to virtually any fuel flow I want and engine remains smooth even at 5 gph. Of course speed and power drops, but eventually if you keep leaning the engine simply stops producing power but never gets rough. No way a carb will allow that.

The prop is the recommended prop, Sensenich 70CM7S16-0-77.

Back