What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180

1SteveB

Does the Dynon D180 have an hour record other than the Hobbs reading? It appears to me that if someone unscrupulous doesn't update the official log book, (maybe keeps separate records) that the hobbs time can be changed. My suspicious mind at work. Thanks.
Steve

It’s also got a tachometer. I know the hobbs can be adjusted, don’t know if tach can. My Dynon Hobbs tach drifts about .1 hrs annually from my panel mounted tach. I will adjust it even though I don’t know which one is right.

Last edited:
I don't understand the concern.

If mine fails I'll replace it and input the times from the old one. My logbooks will provide sufficient support, including at what time(s) the new unit went in.

You may be referring to FLTHRS. According to Dynon Technical Support the timer is really mislabeled and really represents "power-on hours" and it can't be modified.
-

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 2.12.07 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 2.12.07 AM.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 41
I don't understand the concern.

Here's my concern. I bought my plane flying. I was told it had "x" amount of hours which I confirmed on the page with the tach. From the comments, it seems you can adjust this? I was unaware of the "flight hour meter" and I stumbled across this a few weeks later after buying the plane. My concern is that the flight hour meter reads significantly more time than the tach...
I was about to call Dynon when this thread popped up to see why I have two different readings.

Amazing, I've flown with the D180 now for 14 years and have never seen that FLTHRS!!!! There's prob other stuff on there I've also never seen, but I have seen the Total and Hobbs Hrs and yes both are resetable.

I would think that looking at what's in the aircraft logs should reflect what the hours on the aircraft are unless your concerned that they also might be corrupted.

I would think that looking at what's in the aircraft logs should reflect what the hours on the aircraft are unless your concerned that they also might be corrupted.

Good point on the logs. Also, if the Flight Hour Meter starts counting anytime power is applied, that easily explains the difference.

Here's my concern. I bought my plane flying. I was told it had "x" amount of hours which I confirmed on the page with the tach. From the comments, it seems you can adjust this? I was unaware of the "flight hour meter" and I stumbled across this a few weeks later after buying the plane. My concern is that the flight hour meter reads significantly more time than the tach...
I was about to call Dynon when this thread popped up to see why I have two different readings.

The tach should be reading less than other meters.. the tach only reads actual hours at full (max rated) rpm. So at reduced RPMs, it’ll real slower than a “Hobbs” meter.

The tach should be reading less than other meters.. the tach only reads actual hours at full (max rated) rpm. So at reduced RPMs, it’ll real slower than a “Hobbs” meter.

We were always billed by the Hobbs during my rental years for that reason.

Amazing, I've flown with the D180 now for 14 years and have never seen that FLTHRS!!!! There's prob other stuff on there I've also never seen, but I have seen the Total and Hobbs Hrs and yes both are resetable.

Me too after 10yrs.

Back