What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling wing ribs for Wing Walk Doubler

ravenstar

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, I'm double checking my wing skeletons before I start the skinning work, and I'm puzzled by an asymmetry in the instructions. Page 15-05 indicates a number of holes on two nose ribs of the left wing should be dimpled for the wing walk doubler, but there's no such instruction for the right wing. The wing skin instructions in section 17 appear to be symmetrical, so I wonder if this is merely an oversight in the instructions? Is the asymmetry correct, or should both wings be dimpled (or not dimpled) in preparation for the doublers?

I've written to Van's, but they're taking an unusual amount of time to respond. Either they're really busy, or I've really stumped them. :D

Same for the right wing. The right wing gets the same wing walk doubler treatment as the left wing.

Thanks, that makes sense to me, but sometimes Van's has reasons for leaving steps in odd places, so I wanted to be certain.

Hi everyone, I'm double checking my wing skeletons before I start the skinning work, and I'm puzzled by an asymmetry in the instructions. Page 15-05 indicates a number of holes on two nose ribs of the left wing should be dimpled for the wing walk doubler, but there's no such instruction for the right wing. The wing skin instructions in section 17 appear to be symmetrical, so I wonder if this is merely an oversight in the instructions? Is the asymmetry correct, or should both wings be dimpled (or not dimpled) in preparation for the doublers?

I've written to Van's, but they're taking an unusual amount of time to respond. Either they're really busy, or I've really stumped them. :D

Hi Ravenstar:

Take a look at Step 6, on Page 17-4.

Dimpling wing ribs

PAGE 17-04
RV-12
REVISION: 1
DATE: 11/03/14

Step 6: Repeat all steps from page 17-02 Step 2 through Step 4 on this page for the right wing.

PAGE 17-04
RV-12
REVISION: 1
DATE: 11/03/14

Step 6: Repeat all steps from page 17-02 Step 2 through Step 4 on this page for the right wing.

Ok, I see it now, it's step 8 in my plans. The main thing here is that the dimpling happens back in section 15 which treats the left and right wings differently and doesn't mention dimpling the right wing.

I wish the symmetry had occurred to me earlier as dimpling was a lot easier when the ribs weren't attached. I'm not thrilled with the added indentations my efforts caused, but I've got a tech counselor visiting soon so I'm not pulling it apart until he tells me I have to.

Back