What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap handle

Ham

My flap handle broke off on short final yesterday. No problem landing, but it needs to be fixed. Any one have experience with this? Can a good welder fix it? Do I need to find-make a new WD-406C horn?

Yes a god welder should be able to fix it.

I do have a couple of those. Old. Would have to be sandblasted and primed/painted. I suspect it'll be easier to have yours welded as it's fitted to your RV-4.

Finn

Thanks Finn. I was able to get my engineer to weld it back together yesterday. Now primed and painted and ready for installation.

RV-4 flap handle break....?

My flap handle broke off on short final yesterday. No problem landing, but it needs to be fixed. Any one have experience with this? Can a good welder fix it? Do I need to find-make a new WD-406C horn?

Huh. I haven't heard of that happening before. Where did it break? Curious minds want to know.....:confused:

I seem to remember an article in The RVator a long time ago where someone had a flap handle break off and it was because it was rusted inside. Each year at condition inspection I look for any signs of rust on mine. I mention it here in case it helps anyone else.

Regards,

RV4 serial #68

The horn to which the flap handle is bolted broke off from the tube that rotates to operate the flap control rods. Cracked and work-hardened it appeared. My engineer cleaned it up, welded it back together and I primed, painted and reinstalled it. Works fine now. If I could figure out how to attach pics, I would. :(

Back