What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 Quick Build Questions

hoyden

Well Known Member
I am assembling an RV-9 QB and have a few questions that I can't find answered in the drawings or build manual. The questions might have been answered there and I overlooked them.

I have a few parts that I am unsure where they are used. I've searched the fuselage drawings and manuals but cannot find where they are called out. In the inventory they are listed

AN Spacer, 4D 4 ea
AN837-4D 45 degree Bulkhead Fitting 3 ea

IMG-8518.jpg

Does anyone know where they are used? I repurposed two AN837s for the unions used for the fuselage fuel tank vents. My RV-6 uses AN833-4D for the vents and they look nice mounted without the expose wrench flats that the unions have. This would be a nice place to deploy the AN Spacer, 4D.

Also, there are a number of rivet locations that have temporary rivets or unriveted locations around F-718R longeron and F-709 channel. I want to paint the interior soon and wondering when is the right time to pound these rivets.

I don't have drawings handy, but on my -9A, but I believe these fittings are for the brake line penetration through the fuse at/near the top of the gear leg (one on each side, obviously), pointing down the leg to the brake. Not sure if the taildragger version is the same, but it probably is in this regard.

I don't have drawings handy, but on my -9A, but I believe these fittings are for the brake line penetration through the fuse at/near the top of the gear leg (one on each side, obviously), pointing down the leg to the brake. Not sure if the taildragger version is the same, but it probably is in this regard.

What's missing from your pic is the oversized nut that threads onto the fitting to secure it in the fuse penetration near the top of the gear leg.

On the taildragger the brake lines come through the firewall with 90 degree bulkhead fittings. From there I believe it's a single line all the way to the wheel. At least that is how it is with my RV-6.

What's missing from your pic is the oversized nut that threads onto the fitting to secure it in the fuse penetration near the top of the gear leg.

On drawing 36A it looks like we used one for the left master cylinder firewall mount. Center of page that may help.

On my -9A quick build I had the same question about the washer. The washer fit perfectly between the skin and the gear leg weldment, effectively preventing the skin from being deformed by torquing the nut on the 45 deg bulkhead fitting. The nut sits on the weldment and the washer supports the skin against the fitting's tiny shoulder. I happen to have a photo of it while trial fitting. Its going to be a different story on a -9.

IMG_1572.jpg

We have a winner! No wonder I can't figure where it goes because it doesn't on an RV-9. Thanks for sharing that. I will look back on the 9A drawings to see where it is called out.

Assembling a quick build is like tuning in to the middle of a novel. Most of the story has been told and I'm leafing back to pick up the plot.

Now, about all those missing or temporary rivets along the top longeron. Can they be pounded now or should I wait until I start canopy assembly.
On my -9A quick build I had the same question about the washer. The washer fit perfectly between the skin and the gear leg weldment, effectively preventing the skin from being deformed by torquing the nut on the 45 deg bulkhead fitting. The nut sits on the weldment and the washer supports the skin against the fitting's tiny shoulder. I happen to have a photo of it while trial fitting. Its going to be a different story on a -9.

View attachment 40321

Back