What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tail wheel sideaways .

I'm New Here
hi people
I bought a new fullswivel tailspring , because my tailwheel was wearing sideaways , I would like to know how to align it and drill it , one or two bolts ? thanks

short term memory loss......

I did this a few years ago. To check the alignment, I leveled the plane laterally and used a long straight edge and had somebody hold it against the rudder trailing edge. I then just eyeballed "vertical". However, my original setup wore evenly. So, I "cheated" with the new spring. I used the old one and jigged it up on my drill press to match drill the new spring right through the old one. I then just checked it to make sure it looked good.

The tailspring/tailwheel comes with a dwg. that shows how they are drilled. 2 olts attach the tailwheel to the spring. One bolt attaches the spring inside the fuse.

I painted the tailspring and then had to strip the 6" or so that go into the fuse. It is a very tight fit. I was a little concerned about corrosion. But the 18 year old spring I took out was clean with just a coat of oil on it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, the setup doesn't appear to be TOO fussy. I think a good faith effort to get the plane laterally level and the tailwheel vertical should work fine for you.

Good luck.

John

Taper Pins

My tail wheel spring was loose on both ends. I ordered a big and a small taper pin from Aircraft Spruce. you'll need a taper reamer as well. I now have a zero tolerance fit. When the tail wheel is worn uneven it makes the plane pull hard in one direction while taxiing. Before I used the taper reamer, I carefully leveled the plane and the tail wheel. I now have a new tail wheel, and can't remember taxiing ever being this easy.

Steve Barnes the Builders coach

hi people
I bought a new fullswivel tailspring , because my tailwheel was wearing sideaways , I would like to know how to align it and drill it , one or two bolts ? thanks

Have you considered flipping the wheel? What your doing is a lot of work. I have to flip mine every ~400hrs or so. I do have more weight on my tail than most though. Just a thought before you bore holes. Not sure if its wearing over a short on long period of time on yours.

It lasted 300 hs but direction unlocked in strong crosswinds and finally I broke the bolt and had the wheel torn away in a mole hole at my farm . so I´m begining allover again .

A couple years ago I just flipped mine around. Then last year I put a new one on. I kind of just thought it was a wearable part. I kind of think it's either the right side of the tail wheel or right pads that would wear. Sure my tails in the air most of the time too but it's taxiing that wears them.
I'm not sure I understand the aligning or off setting the tail wheel. Wouldn't it still wear? It sounds like a lot of work. I would hope tail wheel bolts wouldn't break especially on landing.(I'm not saying you're going to ground loop the aircraft the my 4 would be still quite controlable)
I'll check the archives to bring me up to speed on this because I'm obviously not familiar with off setting the tail wheel.

Back