What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitchburg, MA Wednesday 6\17 8am FIT

turbo

Well Known Member
we are planning on bfast at fit wednesday at 8 am. some of the rv guys from fla are up north now and will be flying mid week this flying season. i am in hartford, dave is in sanford maine. we are looking for ideas for places to fly to from those areas. everyone is welcome. call me [hartford] after 9 pm at 772-349-0609 cl or dave at 207-967-0150 maine if needed. see you there. lets go flying

Jaffrey is the place to go

Jaffrey (KAFN) is great for lunch and ice cream. Wish I could go along but I'm stuck in TUC for the week.

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Many to choose from...

It depends on how far you want to go but.......

Bar Harbor (KBHB) is a must if you've never been there. about 180nm or so.

Rockland, Maine (KRKD) is a bit closer and also has a real pretty harbor. Grab a cab into town for lunch or just checkout the OWLS Head transportation museum on the field.

A bit closer would be Laconia, New Hampshire (KLCI). Once around Lake Winnipesaukee is worth the trip and lots to do in the immediate area.

Cape Cod is also nice. You might do a short trip to Nantucket(KACK) or check out Katama field on Martha's Vineyard(1B2).

Well, that ought to keep you busy for a day :). I don't think I will be able to join you at FIT tomorrow, but if I can I will.

John

Definitely Katama

Looks like the weather is going to be perfect.

I would definitely place Katama airfield on the top of the list. One of the nicest grass airports in the country. The runways are always kept in excellent condition. They have a cafe right on the field with an outside deck. They will not charge you a parking fee if you are flying in for lunch.

There is a bus stop right outside the airport that will take you to town for $1.00.

Airnav link
http://www.airnav.com/airport/1B2

Mike Draper
RV-8
TMX 0360 CS
N468RV
Finishing.....

fogged in.......

turned out to be fogged in till 10;30 or so wednesday so i cancelled out. will keep up on midweek plans so we can meet up. the wx has been ...... well not so great in the ne lately. were is the summer wx. you need to fly when you get the chance. been good for ifr currency.

Shoot, Fitchburg is my hometown. If you guys do go, I'd love to get some aerial photos. My mother has always wondered what the city she's lived in for 65 years looks like from the air. If you do wander over that way, she's at 42.582629,-71.845422. I'd love to show her a pix.

Thanks

you never know......

Shoot, Fitchburg is my hometown. If you guys do go, I'd love to get some aerial photos. My mother has always wondered what the city she's lived in for 65 years looks like from the air. If you do wander over that way, she's at 42.582629,-71.845422. I'd love to show her a pix.

Thanks
bob, we will be in touch if we go that way this summer.

Maine Sites

Guys:

I fly out of Sanford and live in Maine just south of Portland on the coast. I highly recommend a flight up the coast starting at Kittery and ending up in Bar Harbor. This is one of my favorite tourist routes because of the beautiful sights and scenery along the way. There are a ton of lighthouses, rocky coastline, fishing villages, gorgeous waterfront homes and just generally amazing scenery along the way. Sights not to miss and clearly visible from the air include -- Nubble Light, Walker's Point, Ogunquit/Perkins Cove, Wells Beach, Old Orchard Beach, Portland Head Light and Portland Harbor, Bath Iron Works (in Bath, Maine), Rockland and Bass Harbor Light.

If you fly up to BHB for lunch, there are a couple of good lobster/seafood places near the airport in Bar Harbor. I would also strongly recommend renting a car at the airport and driving the Acadia National Park loop road. It offers spectacular views of the coast.

Bar Harbor airport is deceptive. You would expect that an airport that far up the coast of Maine would be deserted, but in fact you will find a large number of private jets and nice personal planes on their ramp. Mount Desert (pronounced dessert) Island caters to some very wealth folks, and BHB is their jumping off point to the island.

Let me know if you would like me to detail the route better for you or if you would like a tour guide.

Antony

Back