What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you need Oversize Bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAHco

Well Known Member
I have located a total of 38 oversize bolts. NAS6606-30X

These are the first oversize for the NAS1306-30 that are used on the RV4 and the RV6.

If you could push your regular bolts in your main spar with very little or no resistance,and feel any movement before putting the nuts on, then you may need these for the loose fitting holes. They are .016 oversize.

If I get enough interest I will get the lot, if not, I will not get them for future distribution.

Please REPLY how many you may would be interested in, I will sum up how many sometime Monday and make a decision.:cool:

Last edited:
I have located a total of 38 oversize bolts. NAS6606-30X

These are the first oversize for the NAS1306-30 that are used on the RV4 and the RV6.

If you could push your regular bolts in your main spar with very little or no resistance,and feel any movement before putting the nuts on, then you may need these for the loose fitting holes. They are .016 oversize.

If I get enough interest I will get the lot, if not, I will not get them for future distribution.

Please REPLY how many you may would be interested in, I will sum up how many sometime Monday and make a decision.:cool:

Do you really mean .016" over sized - that's a lot? - heck .0016" is a lot on a 3/8 bolt!

Yes...

Do you really mean .016" over sized - that's a lot? - heck .0016" is a lot on a 3/8 bolt!

...Vans (or Phlogiston IIRC) drilled and reamed the spar bolts and the two steel joiner plates in the spar center on the -4's and -6s.

Some of the holes apparently came out oversize - the holes were then reworked - so some of the holes ended up needing an oversize 0.016 bolt. A little diagram was shipped with the steel straps showing which bolts were oversize - my kit has only one.

At one time Vans had trouble getting an "official" oversize bolt, so they had some machined from stock - mine has one of these bolts, along with Vans certification paperwork.

I guess the NAS "X" bolts are really hard to come by....:)

...Vans (or Phlogiston IIRC) drilled and reamed the spar bolts and the two steel joiner plates in the spar center on the -4's and -6s.

Some of the holes apparently came out oversize - the holes were then reworked - so some of the holes ended up needing an oversize 0.016 bolt. A little diagram was shipped with the steel straps showing which bolts were oversize - my kit has only one.

At one time Vans had trouble getting an "official" oversize bolt, so they had some machined from stock - mine has one of these bolts, along with Vans certification paperwork.

I guess the NAS "X" bolts are really hard to come by....:)

Thanks for the clarification Gil.

Mine were all OK and needed a smear of grease and a gentle tap with a mallet. Didn't realize that some were reworked oversize at the factory.

Jim

I have no clue if I need them, but what is the per-unit cost going to be? I might pick up a couple just to be 'safe'. BTW, looking at flying up this monday perhaps. I'll e-mail you.

Cost=?

These will be available if I can get a commitment of 10ea or more from the group at $25.00 each before the 4th of June. If that does not happen, the after special offer price will be $32.00 each. At this moment there are 30 at the factory, when they are gone it may be a long time before they are available again and more than likely at double the cost.

Check how well your bolts fit and then please let me know so we can take advantage of this limited opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back