What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Fallout

Skyhi

The time has come to select and purchase an engine for my RV-4 project.

Used Lyco engines for experimentals seem grossly over-priced in comparison with new XP?s and other clones. However given the state of the world economy, I imagine that all of these engines will be in massive over-supply in the coming year with prices falling sharply.

Given that a new Lyco? still costs more than an average family car .... Is a really big price correction in the pipeline ?

I am leaning towards an injected IO-320, the question is new or used and when to buy ?

Any advice appreciated.

Nic

Do prices ever come down ?

It's a small market to begin with. I suspect they would just scale back production to keep prices up. I'd be curious if Lyc prices have ever come down.

On a similar vein, anybody noticed that the price of home heating oil and auto-gas are both down about $1.30/gallon from the peak ? Avgas hasn't budged.

I'm betting that the prices of engines will continue up because they can..... :-(

John

Unlike auto-gas, a lot of the aviation gas people charge you for what is in their tanks. Our AP is $1 higher than another 7 miles away. it is cheaper to fly the seven miles (or at least, a good excuse).
When the tank is refilled, expect to see a new price.

Check out Van's for the experimental Lycoming price. At Sun N fun and Osh, they had a deal (ended up being $500 off and free shipping).

Last edited by a moderator:
On a similar vein, anybody noticed that the price of home heating oil and auto-gas are both down about $1.30/gallon from the peak ? Avgas hasn't budged.

While I am also outraged at Avgas prices, I have to say that one of our local airports is doing as well as they can....their Avgas price has dropped over a dollar since the peak (now $4.23 or something like that).

If you are uncertain about prices for engines and fuel, the consensus seems to be to get an IO-360 with "normal" compression and electronic ignition. That will allow you to burn auto fuel (if you can find some reliably that has no alcohol) or even pure alcohol if you adjust the injector settings.

The extra horsepower comes at virtually no price or weight or size penalty. Use a Cato (fixed) or MT or Whirlwind (C/S) prop designed for the RV to avoid any RPM restrictions. I think there may be a Hartzell that has also eliminated the restrictions - just check to be sure. Be happy.

The extra horsepower comes at virtually no price or weight or size penalty.

Actually there is a significant size penalty on the -4. The cowl is a very tight fit near the left rocker covers. It will fit, but just barely. If I had it to do again, I would consider a 320 just for this reason.

If you are uncertain about prices for engines and fuel, the consensus seems to be to get an IO-360 with "normal" compression and electronic ignition. That will allow you to burn auto fuel (if you can find some reliably that has no alcohol) or even pure alcohol if you adjust the injector settings.
What do you mean by "normal" compression on the IO-360? Note that an IO-360-A engine has 8.7:1 compression ratio, while O-360-A engines have 8.5:1.

And are you referring to the angle-valve IO-360-A series engines, or the parallel-valve IO-360-B and -M series engines?

Our airpark wholesale...

While I am also outraged at Avgas prices, I have to say that one of our local airports is doing as well as they can....their Avgas price has dropped over a dollar since the peak (now $4.23 or something like that).

...quote (for a tanker load - about 8500 gallons) Tuesday night dropped about 20 cents from a week ago, and is 35 cents down from 2 weeks ago.

Depending on how fast your local FBO can empty his tanks, you should start seeing some significant price drops soon when his next batch of 100LL arrives...:)

Avgas getting better

It's come down a lot here - just paid $4.05 yesterday... it was $4.40 last week at the same airport. I'm hoping to see $3.xx soon.

Avgas price is dropping around Houston at Hooks (DWH)... last Friday the SS price was $4.10; checked on Airnav 2 days later and it's $3.85. La Porte is at $3.75 and Brazoria is $3.78. Sweeet! Keep on dropping...

Avgas price is dropping around Houston at Hooks (DWH)... last Friday the SS price was $4.10; checked on Airnav 2 days later and it's $3.85. La Porte is at $3.75 and Brazoria is $3.78. Sweeet! Keep on dropping...

Another $3.00 a gal drop would be nice.

Real nice.:D

What do you mean by "normal" compression on the IO-360? Note that an IO-360-A engine has 8.7:1 compression ratio, while O-360-A engines have 8.5:1.

And are you referring to the angle-valve IO-360-A series engines, or the parallel-valve IO-360-B and -M series engines?

I mean not "High Compression" like my 10:1 IO-320. High compression with low octane = detonation. Consult with smarter people than me to "know" what the maximum is before you have to use AvGas, but I think people are saying 8.7:1 works fine with MoGas if you use electronic ignition. I don't believe that angle vs parallel valve matters with respect to what gas you can use, but again do the research to know for certain.

A weekly update...

...quote (for a tanker load - about 8500 gallons) Tuesday night dropped about 20 cents from a week ago, and is 35 cents down from 2 weeks ago.

Depending on how fast your local FBO can empty his tanks, you should start seeing some significant price drops soon when his next batch of 100LL arrives...:)

...and tonight's 100LL wholesale price quote was down 26 cents from last week.

Prices are falling rapidly....:)
Just wait for that new batch of fuel to arrive at your FBO.

Makes it 61 cents down in 3 weeks - time to fly more....:D

Back