What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak EFIS + EMS

snowtravel

I'm New Here
Hi folks, first time poster considering this discontinued system; they come with a used RV-6 project I may buy.

The EFIS looks similar to this: http://trutrakap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EFIS-Installation-Guide-8300-056.pdf

And the EMS: http://trutrakap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EMS-BU-Installation-Guide-8300-065.pdf

As far as I can tell there's been no new software since 2009, and support is looking a bit thin. See http://trutrakap.com/forum/forum/au...fis-efis-ap-ems/4052-efis-ap3-software-update

Any and all thoughts, experiences or knowledge appreciated!

Thoughts? I like TT. But those products are discontinued and relatively old. If you like them, bolt them on and fly with them. They will probably work well. But they don't have a lot of value in the marketplace, and unless you were looking for exactly that setup (for some reason), I wouldn't put much value on them as an "adder" to the overall value of the project.

Support for the EFIS has been discontinued. I had one in my Rocket for the first 75 hours and it was rock solid, but certainly lacked the bells and whistles of the newer products. I did not have the EMS module but did have the autopilot built into the EFIS and it too operated perfectly.

Besides the obvious issue of lack of support, tihere were two specific features missing in my panel I really wanted - a fuel totalizer and a true airspeed display - so when I had the plane out of service for other reasons I took advantage of the time/opportunity to change the panel.

Trutrak

The screen of my Trutrak is beautiful. The simplicity of the EFIS is nice. It turns on almost instantly. The APIV can fly a coupled GPS approach if connected to an appropriate GPS.

It doesn't have any magnitometer. I have an engine module and and fuel flow sensor with mine. It doesn't record engine temps for post flight analysis, but works fine.

The screen of my unit goes out sometimes under high humidity conditions. I bought the AP level button which automatically holds your current altitude and heading when pushed. I just bought another APIV from an upgraded panel because I like the Trutrak and am not ready to spend the time and money yet to upgrade to the G3X. If I can get another couple of years out of the system I'll be satisfied.

John

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

At least one member here has noted Trutrak's "rather cryptic approach to marketing:" http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79346
It appears that even the basic EFIS has 2-axis AP capability, correct?

Apart from contacting Trutrak (which seems iffy), to upgrade to APII, III or IV would I need to buy another PFD? Likewise, to get GPSS working, do I just install a GPS/NAV (say a 430)?

Thanks again!

Trutrak

My 400W connects to my EFIS via rs232. To use the VOR/glideslope aspect of the 430W you need an ARINC (sp?) module from Trutrak.

I had my APIII upgraded to a IV and they recently tried to fix my screen problem for me. Not sure if they still do upgrades. I think you're right about all the units having basic autopilot function.

I appreciate that the Trutrak guys have always tried to help me with upgrades and repairs as recently as last June.

John

Certainly not iffy. :) I'm happy to answer any questions I can. And just FYI, we do currently still support the EFIS units. True, we are no longer modifying software for them (and haven't since 2011) nor are we building them anymore, but support is still available.

In reality, it is a very reliable product. Our RV10 still has one of our EFIS units in it and we use the EMS. We have been since 2007 and have put over 1400 hours on that system. All we've done is change out some of the engine sensors as they've failed (thermocouples, fuel flow, etc.).

Let me know if I can help!

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

At least one member here has noted Trutrak's "rather cryptic approach to marketing:" http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79346
It appears that even the basic EFIS has 2-axis AP capability, correct?

Apart from contacting Trutrak (which seems iffy), to upgrade to APII, III or IV would I need to buy another PFD? Likewise, to get GPSS working, do I just install a GPS/NAV (say a 430)?

Thanks again!

I wrote that review about 5 years ago; since then my EFIS has been flawless. I continue to think that Trutrak didn't market this unit very effectively; their MO seems to be build a great product and the customers will come. Its still a great product, and now probably a great bargain as well. In my experience support from Trutrak has been superlative and I'm not terribly concerned about them withdrawing support (although I haven't needed any since installation). Other companies may or may not be as supportive; for example I have a 15 year old GPS/comm in my panel that has been completely abandoned by a very large company that is rapidly gaining EFIS market share.

In the off chance one may have a removed Tru Trak Efis on the shelf, I would be interested. I have the TT EFIS GP, and it's screen, on occasion, goes scrambled. It seems a loose connection or a bad solder joint, as I can press on the back of the unit and the screen comes back. I like my set up and dont want to redo the panel at this point, but rather just get a working TT Efis in my 9A.
Thanks for your time.
Mark Donahe
RV 9A
206 755 1093

Back