What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inaugural flight

jswareiv

Well Known Member
N214SW took it's first flight today! I got my AC on Friday and this morning was the first chance to get it airborne. Flew great, jumped off the runway and somehow the plane greased the landing. I will be working on the video to post to my website, although it's not nearly as professional as Mitch's was. Everything worked as billed, the plane flew hands off at 4,000' in trim. I was not getting a reading for Fuel Flow, but overall that was the only issue. Weather was overcast except for a couple of holes, but at 3,000 it was clear blue sky. I did some slow flight, turns, stalls, then popped down through another hole to set up for landing. What a thrill after 2 ? years! Thank you's will come on the writeup. Been waiting to do the RV grin.

2i9i0er.jpg

Well done Stoney. Now you need to update your VAF signature block :cool:

---(one day later...)---

That looks better. Now, knock out that Phase I.

Last edited:
Now that's some awesome news! I bet that is a big relief after all that time! Glad it went well. Did you notice any engine cooling issues or anything during your flight? I'm a little curious how it will be, due to the fairly small exit area...unless the tunnel ends up adding a lot of airflow.
I'll be a few weeks yet, especially since I'll hopefully stop and paint it first, but hoping for June.

Awesome, congrats! I can't wait for your write up with all the details. Very jealous.

Rob

Congrats on the first flight, I'll also be a while yet. Still waiting on Van's to finish things up in order to finish up. Waiting for more details.

Congratulations!

Got to be a thrill. Nicely done!
Thanks for your website..I'm a frequent visiter:)

Stoney

Congratulations! It must feel wonderful. Be safe as you explore the flight envelope.

Thanks for being on the pointy end of the sword, blazing the trail on the RV-14/14a. All of us builders, a few months behind you, are benefiting greatly by your reports and observations. Keep em coming!

Greg Novotny
RV-14a #140209
empennage, wings and fuselage done
engine and prop ordered
Gig Harbor, WA :D:D:D

Power

Awesome, congrats! I can't wait for your write up with all the details. Very jealous.

Rob

I will have more details in the next couple of flights. I was saying how the 14 jumps off the runway, watch that in the video. This ain't your daddy's Cessna.

Congrats Stoney, nice to see a customer built -14 airborne.

How many hours total did you log building it?

Engine Temps

Did you notice any engine cooling issues or anything during your flight? I'm a little curious how it will be, due to the fairly small exit area...unless the tunnel ends up adding a lot of airflow.

I'll be interested in hearing about engine temps too. The Kitplanes article that Paul Dye wrote a few months ago said that both the -14 and -14A factory demo planes run cool and stated that Ryan at Vans was thinking about ways to reduce cooling airflow (to reduce drag). However I don't think either of the Vans demo planes have electronic ignition, which most people seem to be running these days, and that would increase CHTs compared to mags.

Hey Stoney,
That looks like a mil-issue control tower. Are you at Belle Chase?

Canopy partial-open latching

Stoney (or any other builder who might know),

I am a few months from my planned build. I hadn't seen any provision in the plans for holding the canopy partially open. Also looked at any provision for that on Roger's bird at Sebastian, FL. Did I miss it or is that a mod? I know that there are some other (6/7/9) tippers that have added that capability.

Stoney (or any other builder who might know),

I am a few months from my planned build. I hadn't seen any provision in the plans for holding the canopy partially open. Also looked at any provision for that on Roger's bird at Sebastian, FL. Did I miss it or is that a mod? I know that there are some other (6/7/9) tippers that have added that capability.

It has always been standard on a tip up 6, 7 or 9 and is on the 14 also. It is just done in a different way.

When the canopy is open and the latch is closed, the canopy can be lowered and remains propped open resting on the latch pins. This doesn't hold it open quite as much as the other models, but close. It still works well for ground ventilation.

Tower

LANG 1/244 AV BN at HDC

Yes, it is at Hammond Regional. There is also an old WWII tower still on the field, although kind of rusting away. There has been some talk of restoring it for fun, but no money up yet.

Yes on the takeoff, who needs flaps for short field takeoff? Yes my mains are a little underinflated, they will get attention today.

Long ago in a swamp far away...

N214SW took it's first flight today! I got my AC on Friday and this morning was the first chance to get it airborne. Flew great, jumped off the runway and somehow the plane greased the landing. I will be working on the video to post to my website, although it's not nearly as professional as Mitch's was. Everything worked as billed, the plane flew hands off at 4,000' in trim. I was not getting a reading for Fuel Flow, but overall that was the only issue. Weather was overcast except for a couple of holes, but at 3,000 it was clear blue sky. I did some slow flight, turns, stalls, then popped down through another hole to set up for landing. What a thrill after 2 ½ years! Thank you's will come on the writeup. Been waiting to do the RV grin.

2i9i0er.jpg

Congrats Stoney, I remember when you visited us at The Swamp with your SIX many years ago and chatted about something bigger...
Looks like it's here :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Thanks to Smokechaser too...

Last edited:
Congrats Stoney, I remember when you visited us at The Swamp with your SIX many years ago and chatted about something bigger...
Looks like it's here :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: Thanks to Smokechaser too...

Actually I wanted a Rocket like yours, because I love speed, but the 14 is a great plane.

The Stones were right...

Actually I wanted a Rocket like yours, because I love speed, but the 14 is a great plane.

Actually, I would love to go back and fly the F16 again but like the Rolling Stones say: You can't always get what you want" :)

Again, congrats.
V/R
Smokey

Back