What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extended go pro mount

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
If you’re looking for a little quarantine project....

I Wanted a better perspective for inflight photos so I made this mount to extend ahead of the wing by 2 feet. Makes a real difference.

I used 3/4” carbon fibre tubing with 3/4” aluminium square stock (all provided by my hangar mate John). I fabricated the brackets to fit into existing holes/nut plates for the wing tip attach points.

I was worried about vibration but it turned out great.

First photo is of the mount without the camera on the end. Second is a photo with the go pro mounted on top of the wing (old position). The third photo is with the camera mounted on the new carbon fibre extension rod. Much better photo.

997435-DD-BB22-452-F-A2-E6-588-B0-C5-E4-A51.jpg

B34-A0-EF1-F1-CE-416-B-A962-544-D5-DF30428.png

0561-AE4-D-2-ADA-41-C5-A876-7-ABE6335-A0-F0.png

I used 3/4? carbon fibre tubing with 3/4? aluminium square stock (all provided by my hangar mate John). I fabricated the brackets to fit into existing holes/nut plates for the wing tip attach points.

I was worried about vibration but it turned out great.

I have been thinking of doing something similar. What is the wall thickness of the 3/4? carbon tubing?

I love it!! I've been wanting to do the same from the VS, mounting my 360 Fly to get shots "above" the aircraft. I'm not a machinist, nor do I have access to create the exquisite mounting hardware you have. Kudos! Can you or your hangar mate duplicate the mounting hardware?
David

video

HI David, yes it can be duplicated but I made the pieces to match the holes I had already drilled to attach the wing tip. Not even the same as my other wing...

Here's a video in flight before landing, really pleased with the results. Id like to pick up a 360 though.

In case anyone's wondering i was always above 500 feet and more than that away from the shore!

https://youtu.be/nzjKXAWEp0I

Happy Easter everyone

Last edited:
for sure

Yes for sure with the correct measurements. The forward mount does need quite a bit of rigidity, its 1/4 aluminum stock.

Bottom...

It?s a good point. Being a flatter curve it would have made the front bracket shorter and therefore more rigid...good idea. Maybe I?ll try that and use a longer boom..

I?ll report back

Made it longer

I made it longer but had way too much vibration so had to make a triangular brace to the lower wing surface. Works like a charm.

C7639-A73-9071-4-C90-9914-48-E4965-AF646.jpg

https://youtu.be/Y7IIyls2BcQ

Some landings you win, some you don’t! Now I need a 360 camera....

Last edited:
Back