What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaky Brake Fittings

fbrewer

Well Known Member
OK, so we have leaky fittings on the right side brakes.

Leaky-Right-Side-Brakes.png alt="Leaky-Right-Side-Brakes" border="0">

We've tried tightening the plastic fittings without stripping the threads -- no dice. Still leaks.

I think I want to replace the semi clear tubing and replace with the black hose and new fittings. Where is the best place to buy these replacement parts?

Any other suggestions to my leaky brake fitting problems?

Last edited:
Tom,

I see on your website dual brake hose kits. Are those hoses stainless braid Teflon hose?

What is the cost of the kit?

OK, so we have leaky fittings on the right side brakes.

We've tried tightening the plastic fittings without stripping the threads -- no dice. Still leaks.

I think I want to replace the semi clear tubing and replace with the black hose and new fittings. Where is the best place to buy these replacement parts?

Any other suggestions to my leaky brake fitting problems?

If your looking just to replace the plastic fittings then call Vans and order their F69-F-04X02 brass elbow brake assembly. Mine is a -7 but this shouldn't matter as I think all Vans planes use these. See upper left corner of build sheet for specifics.

2BjijZpVmU60pSxJfljxKjwgXGt-3hhaylr-2HhgoGWEBvm-IN--CgYTLIGPOlsx8wQltMDGhqWIhmOBFgOdXZUpI2cN1yX9sEEB5Z7Y-KZEWV8BGJG8uqpZT_OpoSxTDqK_XT1YWllb99-kmL5xIEMatRTglJMItacx7_3E5bpmCifTYBou-YAEiApJnCW9xIsLQskh1AAy7OBOxDtU8uTFRT733j1lVQueaSUM1tCFIACsURpbvMKbYliti2_BzXuSLA4jZX9NtaFrFXOm6QqJrS2N8EyViBl8DB1S9VgBgwK0cge8rkb9P-31U4i5xWeeLJcqV6AoPY8Ib5PnB6OtXzTBMQDPAhVjR3gHXhG4KTdmqDfcoNtXUHTqhwKPZvDQqcdmtvBLL8Scea3YErEFoWdt2INxWqPrmIZKD3CWqSSHiVq_zkZpKWdqUKPTAzfkJvMHdrEzsLUQ4MbIc2nxt6ASH0v8cQNn_-qf6R5xc6Yz-5maQGr1CZfpFb4euCQsoeLg-3wyz21VRj-rym0Ty09QRbtRjGGKfrjznZQgfYGts3X1B9VtBE9LTPfbHZib912cPsYoOd1Eu7RsSPsNhxWovctLEibxQY4Da21zBkSNaC7Dz_qzbikBYuVqPlThaIq3dZZ-RwkL4THtNCV-Q1T22g4=w1450-h938-no

Here's the link to zoom in.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMwcmY9gv4A11c3UMqOj_avdeVhjIvwdnebdtrF/photo/AF1QipO2qtHYtn2LGoCj1FUMxh2Px7Rz04O4J18QNJvW

The nylon tubing works fine, but the brass fittings work MUCH better than the plastic.
IMO the plastic fittings should be used only on the reservoir (non-pressurized) side.
Also, when using the brass fittings, don't forget the brass inserts. They are a VERY important part of the fitting.

Last edited:
Brake Lines

I never use plastic lines after multiple issues in the past. Its very cheap to upgrade to flexible AN3 pre made hoses. Give Tom at TSFlightlines a call. Ask for AN3 fittings with narrow brake lines. Easy upgrade and trouble free forever.

Heres a pic from a while ago. I use Grove reservoirs mounted to pedals.

ri96q0.jpg

Hey Frank,

I'm building braided lines for my brake lines. I think I probably have the brass fittings that you need that came with my kit. PM me with what you think you need. I'll check what I have when I'm out at my hangar this weekend. I can drop them in the mail to you.

Ray

The nylon tubing works fine, but the brass fittings work MUCH better than the plastic.
IMO the plastic fittings should be used only on the reservoir (non-pressurized) side.
Also, when using the brass fittings, don't forget the brass inserts. They are a VERY important part of the fitting.

Those two lines have no pressure other than gravity induced. However, there is constant movement of the tubing and those plastic fitting are simply not up to the task. Those plastic fittings seal via an oring that has probably dried up and shrunk. The simple fix is to replace the orings. However, I would recommend replacement with the specified brass fitting with ferrules and inserts.

Larry

Last edited:
Those two lines have no pressure other than gravity induced. However, there is constant movement of the tubing and those plastic fitting are simply not up to the task. Those plastic fittings seal via an oring that has probably dried up and shrunk. The simple fix is to replace the orings. However, I would recommend replacement with the specified brass fitting with ferrules and inserts.
Larry

Maybe, maybe not. If the aircraft has dual brakes and these are coming from the other side, they would be under pressure any time bakes are applied from the other side.

Maybe, maybe not. If the aircraft has dual brakes and these are coming from the other side, they would be under pressure any time bakes are applied from the other side.

Yes, the inlets to left side brakes are fed from the outlets of right side MC's and will be under pressure whenever the right side brakes are applied. The line from the reservoir to the inlet of the MC's is not pressurized and this is what the OP was asking (first post mentioned that the issue was with the right brake).

Larry

Last edited:
Back