What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N436KH (reserved) first cross-country

JKevin

Well Known Member
N436KH first cross-country KWHP - 9I3

Distance: 2252 Miles
Average speed: 65 MPH
Fuel burn: 5 GPH

N436KH (reserved) just completed her maiden cross country, from Whiteman Field (KWHP) to West Liberty Airport (9I3).

Speed was a little less than I had hoped for but fuel burn was about what I expected? For the Penkse truck we traveled in.

I am the proud new owner of Van?s Aircraft RV-6 s/n 21390.

At 53 years old, it finally became time, but not quite as I expected.

About 25 years ago, my then-wife and I worked on her RV-6; I was there from the uncrating to hanging the engine before we parted ways. I always planned to build my own, but life got in the way: an Air Force career, living on a sailboat, a busy medical practice, you name it. I was just always too busy or couldn?t figure out how to make the logistics work.

The bug never left, I just couldn?t do anything about it. I was a little disappointed when the -6 was replaced by the -7; not for any good reason, just that the -6 was my ?first love.?

Fast forward to last year ? I transitioned to a slow-paced practice in a small town and remarried. I started buying aircraft construction books and preview plans and started wondering how I would break the news to my new wife. Before I could, this lovely woman bought me an RV tool kit from Brown Tool and told me to stop dreaming and start building!

For the past several months, I have been planning a garage / workshop and am about to sign a contract to get started. The plan ** was ** to get the shop ready and then order an RV-7 from Van?s, but like so many plans in my life, it was overcome by events?I found a -6 kit on VAF. Enough done so it won't take me forever to finish, enough remaining for me to enjoy the journey!

One trip cross country later, and my little project is safely in storage waiting for the workshop to be built.

Soon, my new friend, soon?

Make yourself a gift at 60!

Before I could, this lovely woman bought me an RV tool kit from Brown Tool and told me to stop dreaming and start building!

You are one lucky guy Kevin. Now you have no excuses. :D

Back