What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum accessory cover plate oil leak

wildduk

We’ve removed vacuum pump from our O360. We cannot get that area to stop leaking oil from the top and bottom of the cover plate. New gaskets a few times, and we have now removed the spacer so it’s just the cover plate with 1 gasket between it and the accessory case.....

Not sure how to proceed

It's been more than 15 years since I've been in there, but I think the oil passages aren't symmetrical about the Z axis and the gasket has to be oriented a specific way. There may be 2 gaskets that fit , but only 1 has a small dia hole in the right place and not somewhere else. Obviously, check the spacer and cover for flatness, ....

Sorry, it's been too many trips around the sun for this old guy, but I recall struggling with this until Mahlon's colleague Phil Haponic straightened me out.

Do you still have the gear drive in there? If so, can you confirm which if the two gaskets is leaking? Might be wise to replace both next time. Also, is this a custom cover plate? How thick is it?

Larry

Try adding some Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket but first make sure the cover plate isn't warped.

It’s the O360 and the spacer/adapter has been removed. So no gear shaft. Just the accessory case, gasket, then cover plate.
Tempest makes a gasket with out the oil hole for their dry pumps. I will try that as there will be more gasket material covering up the oil hole on the accessory case...
And some permatex #2 to help seal.

Thx

Back