What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-6 project painted

Nelson235

I'm New Here
Today I got one big step closer. Painted the fuselage.

Attachments

• FB839F85-A980-4D5B-901C-77C8EE96850A.jpeg
    FB839F85-A980-4D5B-901C-77C8EE96850A.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 501
history?

That's a big milestone, great! Wish mine was this far along.
We haven't seen this project before on VAF I don't think, so it would be interesting to hear the history of the build or acquisition.

I see you got to use a real paint booth? It’s nearly impossible to get a great finish when you’re trying to paint inside a T hangar or your garage without spending a ton of money on air compressor filters, dedicated air hoses, good lighting, and barriers to keep the dust out of the air.

I see you got to use a real paint booth? It’s nearly impossible to get a great finish when you’re trying to paint inside a T hangar or your garage without spending a ton of money on air compressor filters, dedicated air hoses, good lighting, and barriers to keep the dust out of the air.
Exactly... which is why my paint job turned out so crappy. I took it to a “pro painter”, but he was in transition and setting up a new shop. No paint booth, no good crew. He painted the white base in a ratty old T hangar and it looks it.

Ah well, it’s nothing I can’t fix by throwing money at it. My paint job is coming up on 10 years old; I’ll give it a few more years and then do a strip and repaint, ugh.

Yes, I used a painter that had a booth/autobody shop. I also chose to paint prior to final assembly, due to wanting it painted in a booth. I really under estimated the painting process. 100+ hrs later of sanding, priming, etching, and paint this is how it turn out.. very pleased with it. used all PPG products during the process.

Attachments

• my rv after paint.JPG
    my rv after paint.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 154
Back