-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 PM

Consider displacing the center lift backwards with a yoke with a saddle down to the propeller so that the nose is slightly higher regardless of fuel quantity.

The slight leveling pressure, nose down, won't over stress the engine mount.

FWIW
Old 01-04-2021, 05:32 AM

disclaimer: not a structure Engineer myself...

I had some thought about your problem. There are quite a few aircraft hanging in the hangars around here, and most solutions appear good enough. Good enough? Yes, meaning holding up and easy to install and remove

One problem you didn't mention, but worth consideration, is lateral balance, or rather imbalance... as you know there are 2 types of winch systems in use on your field, 2 and 3 pointers. Yours is a 2 pointer, which means you will have to balance the fuel in your tanks, or use additional weights on the lighter wing, to permit lifting your -14 in a wings level attitude.

I had a look a while ago at the system as used on another hanged Lancair Legacy (YMI), and remember the forward attach points on the engine mount/firewall structure, which I think is the best solution. One threaded tube each side accessible thru a small hole on the top cowling.

Now for the rear attach points... ideally a good distance behind the CG to improve stability.
Solution A (I don't have the -14 plans) would be some bar or threaded tube extending from the rear spar. Problem here could be insufficient lateral clearance of your cable/chain system to the sides of the fuse.
Solution B, is there any way to maybe reinforce and use the foot steps base as anchor? (again, no plans, no Engineer)
Solution C would be to use a sling, positioned on one or several bulkheads, maybe using a kind of sled made outta CFK or aluminum (also in your hangar, the yellow Votec is using something like this) to spread the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fab14.png
Views:	29
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	6583  

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-04-2021, 10:15 AM

If you use a sling, don't use those handy ubiquitous plastic connections. Use a bit of rope to go from the strap to a marine shackle, something like one of these. You can get them to carry the load and they are reliable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap Shackle.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6598

Dave
Old 01-04-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtac View Post
Any idea of the cost of these?
I think they're like $10-15k
Old 01-04-2021, 10:58 AM