Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2021, 01:13 PM

What about a lift? I knew a guy that had 4 of them in his hangar. They worked really well and you don't have to worry about modifying the airframe.

http://armaerospace.com/
Old 01-03-2021, 01:33 PM

Why not use the lift point on the engine?
Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantosDumont View Post
What about a lift? I knew a guy that had 4 of them in his hangar. They worked really well and you don't have to worry about modifying the airframe.

http://armaerospace.com/
Any idea of the cost of these? I am trying to come up with a solution for potential floods. I think there was a maybe 2 feet during harvey, bought the house after. Also, would like more floor space either way.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabud View Post
Why not use the lift point on the engine?
That lift point is stressed for the weight of the engine and the lifting arrangement could require a bigger lifting force than the case was designed to hold. If the case fails, you just spent a LOT of money.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Aero Lift

They are not cheap but do a nice job of freeing up hangar space. They also come in handy when it's time to change from wheels fo floats.

I did have issues with the lift in the beginning, It would not work correctly for the RV10. The arms needed to be modified to accommodate the position of the wheel pants and keep the plane within the COG. The yellow platforms for the main wheels also needed to be widened to accommodate the wheel pants. Aero Lift was good about it and provided the re-designed arms at no additional cost.

If anyone is planning on using this for a RV10 and has questions of what needs to be ordered send me a private message.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	6547  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4352.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	6548  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	6549  
Old 01-03-2021, 02:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
How about using a lifting platform? Roll the aircraft on to a square low-profile metal frame (devise a suitable chocking arrangement), attach the four overhead cables to the frame's four corners and lift away. The frame could be sized to accommodate a variety of wheel configurations.
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
Does everybody in Switzerland paint their planes red/white?
No ... https://cr-photos.com/2020/07/27/vans-rv-fotoflug/

but it is a good: see and avoid color!

RV-7A, TMX-IO-320, FM-150, Sensenich FP
Flying since 28. April 2016
Old 01-03-2021, 03:32 PM

Hi guys

Thanks so far for your replies and comments. I try to sum up some answers to questions:

The ceiling and lifts are strong enough to support the weight. As you can see in the picture it is a massive wood construction, made for the purpose to have all the lifts. Also the lifts slide out of the hangar before you lower the aircraft, so it is really a quick way of storing your aircraft that's why the Eze will be gone and the lift occupied by an RV

The RV7A in the background is swisseagle's He has a platform. Very nice and solid design and certainly my backup solution, should I fail to find a proper one. The main advantages of hanging the aircraft directly are:
- access to gears and tires
- more flexibility with aircraft below, because it is easier to circumnavigate a high vertical stab around three single gears of the aircraft on the ceiling, versus a platform which is blocking all possibilities
- smaller total weight on the crane
- and... personal preference

I have to check the Lancairs attach points. Certainly somewhere on the engine mount or firewall bolts...

Any inputs regarding the two options?

Thanks
Fabian

PS: No Dan, not many colours on our plane, but anyway still a while until painting
Old 01-03-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
That lift point is stressed for the weight of the engine and the lifting arrangement could require a bigger lifting force than the case was designed to hold. If the case fails, you just spent a LOT of money.
I also made some calculations on this. Actually in my case it would be around 250 lbs on the lift point. But as Kyle pointed out, if the **** hits the fan, you split your engine case...
Old 01-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
You may consider a sling on the propeller. I do this to lift a Glasair. Jack pads on the wing spar at the tie down bolts provide the main lifting. The nose is lifted with a sling around the base of the propeller. It would save having to remove and store the upper cowling anytime the plane is hangared. I can send a picture if you like. The nose will be a small fraction of the total weight of the plane.
Hei Skysailor. Could you post some pictures? Do you have any way of securing the slings, e.g. if the prop would turn slightly and a sling slides of...
I'll calculate the weight up front, but I guess still around 50kg/110lbs