Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Hangar ceiling mount

Hi guys

I am hoping to drain your brain for a solution to mount our RV14A to the hangar ceiling. In Switzerland hangar places are rare and hangars are packed with planes, wingtip to wingtip. The ceiling mount is a nice solution, keeping your aircraft away from others and avoiding damage when moving planes around...
The lift and mounting principle will look something like on that Legacy:

I have a hangar space now for my Vari Eze and intend to use it for the RV.

The main attach bracket will be on the main spar, looking something like that. I will exchange the close tolerance bolts to attach the spar with longer ones and install the bracket on the aft side. A hole in the upper wing root fairing will enable a long bolt to be installed into the bracket. There is a threaded, vertical hole in the bracket.

I checked various loadings. The main force will be on these two brackets, but I need a forward attach point for the remaining 150-ish kilograms, 330 lbs.

Thinking many options through and discussing with fellow builders I ended up with two options. Both will require two small holes for bolts through the upper cowling that I will eventually close with two small doors. And again there will be a threaded hole to attach a bolt from the lift.

Option A
Use the FF01400 engine mounts upper horizontal bars on the left and right side for two attach brackets bolted around the engine mount bars.

Of course the engine mount was not designed for a lifting force, but keeping in mind that it will be roughly 75kg per side (170 lbs) it is not a lot, even with a safety factor of 4...

Option B
Use the engine attach bolts (AN7) and attach two brackets.

Again, the bolts have not been designed for that load, although it is roughly the engine weight, it would almost kind of equal the load

Any inputs and preferences?

Thanks in advance
Fabian
Old 01-03-2021, 10:08 AM

Default The Spar Is Close To the CG

Doubt if you'll find many qualified structural analysis engineers to comment, but please consider the center of gravity with respect to the main spar. It'll change with the fuel in the tanks and any possible cockpit or baggage that might be in the plane. My concern is that if the CG is aft of the main spar, the plane will tip backwards. Could you find a suitable attachment point well aft the spar, perhaps at the main gear location or even aft of that instead?

Dave
Old 01-03-2021, 10:26 AM

Couple thoughts:

In general, attaching to the engine mount tubes isn't what you want to do. They are designed for loads in tension or compression. Tension in the case of the ones you're considering. They probably shouldn't be loaded in bending. The engine mount cups seems like a better way to go. Where/how do the Legacy's front lift points attach?

Instead of using a threaded attachment for your lifting fitting, I'd use a clevis with a shear bolt or pin on all 4 connections.

Please follow-up with your final design and show a picture of your suspended RV!
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Consider a propeller sling

You may consider a sling on the propeller. I do this to lift a Glasair. Jack pads on the wing spar at the tie down bolts provide the main lifting. The nose is lifted with a sling around the base of the propeller. It would save having to remove and store the upper cowling anytime the plane is hangared. I can send a picture if you like. The nose will be a small fraction of the total weight of the plane.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 AM

Smile

Sorry Iím no help with your structure questions, but I do recommend you hang the Vari Eze ó your going to want quick access to the 14 when you get it flying.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Does everybody in Switzerland paint their planes red/white?
Good Luck with the project, keep us updated.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 350+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. (KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2020 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Not a structural Engineer but, I would question the ability of the ceiling joist and span to support the aircraft or multiple aircraft in your case first, then decide how best to lift up an individual aircraft. That latter question could be best decided by the CG location of the specific aircraft. Most hangers in the USA will not accept any more load on the ceiling , and don't forget snow load as being a significant load factor. Would hate to see a two or three airplane crash inside the hanger!!!

Most stacked storage options I have seen in the USA use a floor mounted hydraulic or winch lift with the ability to park a second plane below the first elevated one.

Last edited by DennisRhodes : 01-03-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 AM

The other obvious question is...

There's a nosegear RV suspended in the background. How does that guy (?) lift the airplane?
2019(?) RV-10
Old 01-03-2021, 12:03 PM

How about using a lifting platform? Roll the aircraft on to a square low-profile metal frame (devise a suitable chocking arrangement), attach the four overhead cables to the frame's four corners and lift away. The frame could be sized to accommodate a variety of wheel configurations.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,000+ hours (as of Feb 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2021.

Last edited by DHeal : 01-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Does everybody in Switzerland paint their planes red/white?
Luckily no, those are only the most visible ones
We have quite a few RVs flying around here (same as for the virus , e.g. highest per capita) and plenty are yellow, blue or whatever.
And as I’m informed, the OP’s -14 won’t be any of those colors neither

Xcuse the thread drift Fab...

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder

Last edited by DeeCee 57 : 01-03-2021 at 12:09 PM.