What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Machine Countersunk Mistake

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So, I countersunk the foreword upper holes in the longeron on my -14 instead of the lower holes the plans describe.

Fatal mistake and new longeron needed? OR, is there a workaround?

Oh, cant switch sides. Left side done correctly.

Last edited:
There are two structural items on your aircraft you shouldn't mess with in particular. Main Spar and Longerons. Please make them super correct. Sh... happens, just order new ones.

This is why some people order a spare piece when they order a kit. Shipping can be big compared to the part cost, although that might not apply so much to an RV-14.

I don't know about RV-14 longerons, but there's a metal supplier in Fort Collins that sells 1/8" thick 6061-T6 extrusions at reasonable prices. If yours came pre-bent or had other forming done to it, you might want to pay for the actual part. Here they are.

If you're going to order the part, have a chat with Van's Support first. Maybe they can help you with a repair.

Dave

I buggered up one of my longerons on my RV-10. I was able to source a replacement from a local metal supply chain that had a location just a 30 minute drive away. Saved me a lot of time and shipping costs getting it local as apposed to an order to Van's.

There are two structural items on your aircraft you shouldn't mess with in particular. Main Spar and Longerons. Please make them super correct. Sh... happens, just order new ones.

Yes. New ones coming. Cost not important with these. It's an airplane, right?

So, I countersunk the foreword upper holes in the longeron on my -14 instead of the lower holes the plans describe.

Fatal mistake and new longeron needed? OR, is there a workaround?

Oh, cant switch sides. Left side done correctly.

OK, Turns out I screwed up by CS per plans, but later in the plans, the holes I CS get CS! Don't need a new longeron. Glad I looked ahead in the plans, but now I'm wondering why Van's postpones the CS. It doesn't seem necessary, except the skin gets Prosealed to the longeron below where the CS holes are located, so maybe they postpone the CS so the Proseal doesn't get in the holes? I dunno. Could just tape over the holes. Gonna call to see if tech knows.

Back