Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2020, 04:26 PM

I'd use the term 'diesel' very loosely with the AC-Aero/Higgs engine. It is not a compression-ignition engine, rather a multi-fuel spark-ignition engine primarily targeted to the use of Jet-A.

Last edited by iwannarv : 12-22-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:46 PM

Has the Higgs engine flown yet? If so, how many flight hours so far in the test program?

Their site lists 4 engines (2 fours, an 8 and a 12 cylinder) all debuting in April 2021. That seems like a tall order to me.

Anyone have a scoop on this?

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 12-22-2020, 04:54 PM

If memory serves, the UL engine's HP is at higher RPM (3000 - 3300) than the traditional 2700.

This limits prop choices, and also there isn't a provision for a prop governor.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
If memory serves, the UL engine's HP is at higher RPM (3000 - 3300) than the traditional 2700.

This limits prop choices, and also there isn't a provision for a prop governor.
Yes as i understand it the 520 IS delivers 200HP @ 3300 rpm or 185HP @ 2800 rpm, however i believe that the new turbo version which is supposed to be released any day now is 220HP but i am not sure at what RPM. I think in this video he says the turbo will deliver this HP @2700 rpm

https://youtu.be/8cNmJATqNsw
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Houston View Post
diesel is my dream engine. Jet A is about 35% of the price of 100LL around here and has about 30% more juice in each gallon. That would be sweet. Mind u i wonder what they will cost. Continental diesel seem to be crazy expensive and they wont sell them to experimental builders
I've spent the past few months trying to find a Diesel option for the RV-14... there just isn't anything out there yet that isn't "COMING SOON!"

Continental will stop talking to you as soon as you mention you're interested in diesel.

I'm probably going to end up with a EFII/390 solution. I can always change the engine later, or just build another airplane when a diesel actually becomes a real thing that you can buy and not just slideware.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I am looking to build my first plane. I really want a 2 seater touring type aircraft so the RV14 or 14A came to mind. However i live in europe and dont want to pay the huge prices here for 100LL that comes with a Lycoming engine.

I see though that ULpower are about to release their new 520 220HP Turbo engine. It struck me this could be a good replacement for the IO-390-EXP 215HP engine as it burns mogas up to 15% ethanol. Especially as the 520 is likely to have most of the power available upto height.

However one issue i see is the effect on CG. the 520 is about 30 kgs lighter than the lycoming, do more experience builders think this would be an issue? I may have to go for a europa elite + or Whisper 350 gen 2 if cant get a mogas power plant in the RV.
Sling TSI may be an option. The money saved on a -7 or -9 will buy a lot of gas vs one of those. .

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 12-23-2020, 07:10 AM

I installed a UL 130hp in the Zenith 750 I built. I was very impressed with the quality of the engine, ease of use and support. It literally starts like a car, turn the key and go, no cooling issue, of course Zenith had a FWF already designed. I did check with UL Power for my RV14A and they stated what has already been discussed, design your own FWF, weight is an issue in the RV.
YouTube Channel
Build Log
Zenith 750 completed 2016 -
Sold
Old 12-23-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
diesel is my dream engine. Jet A is about 35% of the price of 100LL around here and has about 30% more juice in each gallon. That would be sweet. Mind u i wonder what they will cost. Continental diesel seem to be crazy expensive and they wont sell them to experimental builders
The energy density of diesel is actually closer to 15% higher than gasoline per gallon.

But diesel weighs 7lb/gal vs 6lb/gal for gasoline.

So when you consider energy per pound, which is what matters when calculating how much oomph you can fit in the wings within your W/B numbers, they pencil out pretty equal.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedoc View Post
The energy density of diesel is actually closer to 15% higher than gasoline per gallon.

But diesel weighs 7lb/gal vs 6lb/gal for gasoline.

So when you consider energy per pound, which is what matters when calculating how much oomph you can fit in the wings within your W/B numbers, they pencil out pretty equal.
I am more interested in energy per $ than energy per pound. Given that energy per pound is similar it seems the more important metric. Where i live jet A is about 40-43% of AVGAS. The fact you get 15% more energy per unit in theory should lead to a DIESEL/JETa aircraft costing 35% as much per mile travelled as a similar aircraft using 100LL. That adds upto real money.

In UK If you fly 70hrs a year in an aircraft using 8.5 us galls an hour at 1 =$1.35

AVGAS = $5100 Approx
Mogas = $3360
Jet A = $1875 allowing for 15% more energy per unit.

5 years and you are talking about real money. I think in europe if the Higgs engines are within $10,000 to $15,000 of a similar power lycoming plant and they show decent safety characteristics there will be a queue a mile long at the Higgs dealer
Old 12-24-2020, 05:23 AM

Default UL results

Ray Lawrence, the UL importer, is a friend of mine. His 220 HP UL turbo has so far, maintained 36 up to 13,000 ! He now has intercoolers installed and with his recently acquired oxygen, plans to go near 18,000 for further tests..stay tuned...😊

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.