What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel valve help please

[email protected]

Well Known Member
OK jumped into the SDS fuel system and ignition job without enough thought as to what I needed.
How does a person get a return line back to fuel tanks if one can't buy a duplexing valve. I am going to pull the tanks to install return ports and lines from SDS regulator.
Seems nobody has the Andair duplex valves in stock or available
Seen Van's has a duplexing valve but know nothing about it. And they don't show a picture of it and if course it's Saturday. Do you????
Oh ya, and I'm not doing this without a duplexing valve.
Need info on van's valve if you have any.
Thanks Art
Cell is 360-607-9163 if you want to text me

Last edited:
You're kinda screwed without a duplex valve. You could plumb directly back into a single tank, let's say the left. You'd have to burn all the gas out of the left before switching to the right tank, and then the system is acting mostly as a transfer pump setup. So it may take you 1.5 hours to burn through the left tank and when you swap to the right tank it may take 10-15 minutes before the right tank is empty and the left tank is full again from the return flow. Then you burn through the left again until it's empty. It works, but it's a risky way to fly. You'll either forget to swap tanks in time and run yourself out of gas, or forget to swap tanks in time and start dumping fuel overboard because you're returning into a full tank. Best to just get on the list with Andair direct and wait 12-16 weeks for the correct valve.

The other option is to plumb 2 valves, one for the feed and one for return. Just make sure to swap both on tank changes.

Last edited:
Ya I'm not doing this without a duplexing valve as I don't even want the complexity of a bad system.
Just need info on Van's valve and if they really work.
Thanks Art

Art----the Newton V9 valve might work for you, but we havent done a mockup on the RV6/7/9 systems to check the aft fit. WE did a successful install on a RV10. Issue you might have is the clearance between the banjo fittings and the spar, without moving the valve forward. Then you may no be able to use the OE valve covers. The banjo fittings to the wings might also make it pretty tight to pass through the center 2 spar brackets-----oh if you have an early 6 these will be different---
So all of this is a compromise!
Tom

checking with source

Actually I didn't check with Andair. But I've heard of 6-8 weeks times 2 waiting period.
So, that said I have now reached out to them as to my needs. I'll update as to my success. Later. Maybe, if I wasn't so impatient I would have just waited till Monday to contact them.
Van's says they have a duplexing valve and was looking for info on that. But I really do not have an opinion on either just cutting and installing the other stuff.
Thanks Art

One for sale on facebook, Australia.

1478C4D3-B864-41A1-97EC-A2471BD6AAC3.png

Check out Aviation Buy Sell Swap Australia.
Seller is Peter Costick

Art----the Newton V9 valve might work for you, but we havent done a mockup on the RV6/7/9 systems to check the aft fit. WE did a successful install on a RV10. Issue you might have is the clearance between the banjo fittings and the spar, without moving the valve forward. Then you may no be able to use the OE valve covers. The banjo fittings to the wings might also make it pretty tight to pass through the center 2 spar brackets-----oh if you have an early 6 these will be different---
So all of this is a compromise!
Tom

I have a Newton SPRL V3-3P in my RV6. Dual SDS, works just fine. The SPRL V3-3P-C or V9-3-P would also work fine. I should state that I’m old school & bend up aluminum lines & not afraid to whip up custom bracketry if needed (in this case wasn’t necessary)
I have used Andair duplex valves on other SDS projects, nothing wrong with them either.

australia

Morning Joe.
Never thought one would show that far from Battle Ground Wa. USA
Maybe I'll take a Sunday drive. Ha Ha.
I actually looked on Facebook and tried to find the post but had no luck.
Thanks. I am going to call Vans tomorrow to see if theirs will work. I'll post results.
Art

Try this

I have a constant flow return line on my RV-10 and chose to use a single Andair for supply and Van's supplied valve for the return line.
They are arranged next to each other and anytime I switch fuel tanks, I switch both of them. It is an extra step to switch 2 valves but this set up allows for some experimenting with fuel transfer ect. in case you ever want to try mogas, as I do.
My reasons for avoiding the 4 plex Andair was the hefty price tag but more so the
clusterf..k of fuel lines terminating at that one location. Would have made for a very tight and difficult installation in an RV-10 tunnel.
In an RV-7 you don't have a tunnel and installation might be easier, just another option to consider.

Van's to the rescue

Van's saved the day again. They carry the exact Andair valve needed. 3/8" for fuel ports and 1/4" for return. Cost $390.00. Can't beat that. Oh ya I'm only 1 hour drive away so that's even better
Andair ship from UK is 8+ weeks. Not good

Attachments

• IMG_0401[1].jpg
    IMG_0401[1].jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 117
Back