What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion

rwh

I'm New Here
Argh, corrosion from storage in the hanger. What do I do now. Tried alumaprep on it, but didn't seem to help as you can see.

Rob

Attachments

• DSC04033.jpg
    DSC04033.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 454
Moist salt air near coastal areas is rough on aluminum. Your photo shows outside skin on stabilator. I wonder what inside of wing, stabs, and tail cone look like. Biggest problem is where skins overlap, seams, and skin attachment to underlying structures - these are natural trap for moisture...

Last edited:
Truthfully, we laid this piece on the carpet in the hanger. The part that was lying on the carpet is that all that has any.

nothing there to worry about unless you want to polish. when the painter gets to it he will scrub the **** out of it anyway and clean that right off.

bob burns
RV=4 N82RB

Primer

Scrub it with gray scotchbrite and Bon Ami. Rinse well. Dry. Spray some rattle can SEM or NAPA 7220 on it. That should protect it till painter does his thing.
Alumiprep is great but almost impossible to rinse it out completely. It's a strong acid.

Scrub it with gray scotchbrite and Bon Ami. Rinse well. Dry. Spray some rattle can SEM or NAPA 7220 on it. That should protect it till painter does his thing.

I agree you need to prime these pieces. Be careful however about putting any paint and/or primer on the exterior surfaces. If you know what paint you will use on the exterior (or your painter of choice knows) use a comparable primer. This will save you time (or money if using a painter) as prepping to correct for a bad/wrong primer is a pain.

Carl

Back